This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 54.1552 / 54°9'18"N
Longitude: -3.1874 / 3°11'14"W
OS Eastings: 322554
OS Northings: 473916
OS Grid: SD225739
Mapcode National: GBR 6N5D.R7
Mapcode Global: WH72B.0THF
Entry Name: Bank House church House
Listing Date: 6 May 1976
Last Amended: 20 December 1993
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1197886
English Heritage Legacy ID: 388428
Location: Dalton Town with Newton, Barrow-in-Furness, Cumbria, LA15
Civil Parish: Dalton Town with Newton
Built-Up Area: Dalton-in-Furness
Traditional County: Lancashire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Cumbria
Church of England Parish: Dalton-in-Furness St Mary
Church of England Diocese: Carlisle
BARROW IN FURNESS
SD2273 CHURCH STREET, Dalton In Furness
708-1/11/165 (North side)
06/05/76 Nos.5 AND 5A
Bank House (5) and Church House (5A)
(Formerly Listed as:
CHURCH STREET, Dalton
2 houses formerly farmhouse and attached barn (Walton). Late
C18-early C19, altered C19 and C20. Roughcast over stone,
plain and graduated slate roofs. Bank House (No.5): 2 storeys
and attic, 2 windows to 1st floor; No.5A on left has 2 storeys
and 2 windows to 1st floor. Bank House: doorway on left with
part-glazed, 6-panel door under moulded stone hood on Doric
columns; two 4-pane sashes to right have projecting sills and
raised surrounds; canted bay window to left of doorway. 1st
floor: over door is a C20 canted bay window with plain sashes
and glazed roof; 16-pane sash on right. Altered attic windows
in gabled half-dormers. Limestone end stacks. No.5A: C20 door
with sidelights flanked, on left, by large C20 casement with
arched lights and, on right, by the bay window to Bank House.
1st floor: two C20 casements with glazing bars. End stack on
left and tall ridge stack. INTERIOR: Bank House has
basket-arched recess and round-arched limestone fireplace in
ground-floor room to front right; altered staircase. Both
shown in a photograph of 1896: Bank House then with original
windows to upper floors; No.5A with large bay window to left
of door. The columns said to have come from a building
fronting Dalton Castle. Large window of No.5A lit a billiard
room in annexe to Bank House. No.5A included for group value
and because of interlocked freehold.
(Walton J E: Dalton in Furness in Old Picture Postcards:
Netherlands: 1983-: 45).
Listing NGR: SD2255473916
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings