History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Glenfield House

A Grade II Listed Building in Barrow-in-Furness, Cumbria

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 54.1263 / 54°7'34"N

Longitude: -3.1767 / 3°10'35"W

OS Eastings: 323201

OS Northings: 470692

OS Grid: SD232706

Mapcode National: GBR 6N8Q.2L

Mapcode Global: WH72J.5KK1

Entry Name: Glenfield House

Listing Date: 6 May 1976

Last Amended: 20 December 1993

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1197900

English Heritage Legacy ID: 388357

Location: Barrow-in-Furness, Cumbria, LA13

County: Cumbria

District: Barrow-in-Furness

Town: Barrow-in-Furness

Electoral Ward/Division: Roosecote

Traditional County: Lancashire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Cumbria

Church of England Parish: Dalton-in-Furness St Mary

Church of England Diocese: Carlisle

Find accommodation in
Roose

Listing Text


BARROW IN FURNESS

SD27SW STANK
708-1/4/243 (East side)
06/05/76 Glenfield House
(Formerly Listed as:
STANK
Rose Cottage; entrance piers; former
manager's house & office)

GV II

Mine manager's house and office now farmhouse. c1875, altered.
Red sandstone rubble with ashlar dressings, slate roof.
Compact, T-shaped 2-storey manager's house with former office
in 1-storey side wing. Ashlar quoins, chamfered plinth.
Roadside front: side wing to left has later bay window and
altered ridge stack. Main-house gable, set forward on right,
has later casement beneath shouldered lintel (the opening
formerly of 2-lights); 2 narrow sashes to 1st floor also have
shouldered heads. Open-sided wooden porch in angle with lower
side wing on right: decorative bracing and hipped roof;
2-colour floor tiles within and also chevron-panelled door in
chamfered surround. Crosswing ridge stack with 4 rounded
flues. Rear: 3 shouldered windows below oriel bay-window on
shaped brackets. Office wing has part-glazed door with
overlight in shouldered opening; 2-light mullioned window on
right. Part of iron-ore mine group built to serve Stank No.2
pit.


Listing NGR: SD2320170692

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.