History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

298, Abbey Road

A Grade II Listed Building in Barrow-in-Furness, Cumbria

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 54.1326 / 54°7'57"N

Longitude: -3.208 / 3°12'28"W

OS Eastings: 321166

OS Northings: 471428

OS Grid: SD211714

Mapcode National: GBR 6N1N.8B

Mapcode Global: WH72H.PDL6

Entry Name: 298, Abbey Road

Listing Date: 6 May 1976

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1197909

English Heritage Legacy ID: 388378

Location: Barrow-in-Furness, Cumbria, LA13

County: Cumbria

District: Barrow-in-Furness

Town: Barrow-in-Furness

Electoral Ward/Division: Newbarns

Built-Up Area: Barrow-in-Furness

Traditional County: Lancashire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Cumbria

Church of England Parish: Barrow in Furness St Paul

Church of England Diocese: Carlisle

Find accommodation in
Roose

Listing Text


BARROW IN FURNESS

SD27SW ABBEY ROAD
708-1/4/9 (South East side)
06/05/76 No.298
(Formerly Listed as:
ABBEY ROAD
Lodge to Crosslands)

II

Lodge. c1878. By Alfred Swan. For JT Smith (plans). Snecked,
rock-faced red sandstone with ashlar dressings; green slate
roof. 1-storey and attic; compact T-shaped plan with side wing
on left and porch to rear. Right return (facing drive to
Crosslands, Rating Lane, qv): chamfered plinth; 2-light
mullioned window having casements with horizontal glazing bars
and transom lights; continuous dripmould. Oversailing eaves
broken by half-dormer with shorter 2-light window beneath
hipped roof; main roof also hipped and with terracotta ridges
and finials. Abbey Road front: rectangular bay window under
catslide roof projection; side wing to left has half dormer
with hipped roof; truncated stack rises from roof valley.
Rear: porch is open-sided with pointed wooden arches and
lean-to roof; square-headed door within. JT Smith managed the
Barrow Haematite Iron and Steel Company. Drawings survive;
approved 1878.
(Building Plans Register: 1878-: NO.1259).


Listing NGR: SD2116671428

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.