History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Abbey House Hotel

A Grade II* Listed Building in Barrow-in-Furness, Cumbria

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 54.1387 / 54°8'19"N

Longitude: -3.2002 / 3°12'0"W

OS Eastings: 321688

OS Northings: 472095

OS Grid: SD216720

Mapcode National: GBR 6N2L.Z4

Mapcode Global: WH72H.T79J

Entry Name: Abbey House Hotel

Listing Date: 10 November 1949

Last Amended: 20 December 1993

Grade: II*

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1197910

English Heritage Legacy ID: 388380

Location: Barrow-in-Furness, Cumbria, LA13

County: Cumbria

District: Barrow-in-Furness

Town: Barrow-in-Furness

Electoral Ward/Division: Roosecote

Traditional County: Lancashire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Cumbria

Church of England Parish: Barrow in Furness St Paul

Church of England Diocese: Carlisle

Find accommodation in
Roose

Listing Text


BARROW IN FURNESS

SD27SW ABBEY ROAD
708-1/4/11 (South East side)
10/11/49 Abbey House Hotel
(Formerly Listed as:
ABBEY ROAD
Abbey House)

GV II*

Mansion. 1910-1914. By Edwin Lutyens. For Vickers Ltd.
Irregularly coursed red ashlar standstone, graduated slate
roof.
3 storeys in H-plan extended by 2-storey cross-wings.
Elizabethan style; symmetrical. Recessed, chamfered mullioned
windows with leaded lights in metal casements; parapets with
copings formed from topmost wallstones; cast-iron rainwater
goods with square down-pipes and decorative hoppers. Central
entrance in semi-octagonal projection with double-chamfered
plinth and double door in round arch; oversailing course steps
over panel with date 'A.D. 1914' and cartouche bearing Vickers
arms. 2-light windows to 2nd floor.
Main range to each side has two 2-light windows and
cross-window to ground floor; 3 first-floor windows each
having king mullion and 4 round-arched lights; paired
cross-windows to 2nd floor. Front wings have canted 3-storey
bay windows of 1:4:1 lights with transoms; 1st floor lit from
side by round-headed mullioned windows. Main range continues
beyond these wings and has round-arched doors flanked by
2-light windows; upper floor windows as before. Crosswings at
each end of main range have gables set behind their parapets.
Main-range parapet has corner chimneys each with moulded
plinth and caps to 5 linked octagonal flues; similar 3-flue
stacks to outer returns of the front wings and 4-flue ridge
stacks to each side of centre.
Rear: central recess with canted bay-window lighting the Great
Hall. Wings to each side have canted bay windows to their ends
and outer returns; to inner returns are projecting stacks,
each with 4 flues above the parapet. The 2-storey cross-wings
also end in canted bay windows.
INTERIOR not fully inspected: ashlar-lined vestibule with
pilasters and half-columns. Great Hall: oak panelling and
staircase; bolection-moulded fireplace with tiled fireback;
coffered ceiling. Restaurant in rear right wing has marble
fireplace with wreath over; saucer-dome ceiling.


Listing NGR: SD2168672111

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.