History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Central Fire Station

A Grade II Listed Building in Barrow-in-Furness, Cumbria

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 54.1132 / 54°6'47"N

Longitude: -3.2325 / 3°13'57"W

OS Eastings: 319524

OS Northings: 469294

OS Grid: SD195692

Mapcode National: GBR 5NVW.Y8

Mapcode Global: WH72H.9WY3

Entry Name: Central Fire Station

Listing Date: 28 May 1991

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1197911

English Heritage Legacy ID: 388383

Location: Barrow-in-Furness, Cumbria, LA14

County: Cumbria

District: Barrow-in-Furness

Town: Barrow-in-Furness

Electoral Ward/Division: Central

Built-Up Area: Barrow-in-Furness

Traditional County: Lancashire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Cumbria

Church of England Parish: Barrow-in-Furness St Mark

Church of England Diocese: Carlisle

Find accommodation in
Barrow in Furness

Listing Text


BARROW IN FURNESS

SD1969SE ABBEY ROAD
708-1/12/14 Central Fire Station
28/05/91

II

Fire station. Dated 1911. By Borough Surveyors under Arthur
Race. Red brick with buff terracotta dressings, slate roofs.
Engine house of 1 storey and attic, 1:4:1 bays with 3-storey
tower to rear left. Engine house: 4 segmentally-arched vehicle
entrances with banded piers and large consoles on raised
keystones; enriched modillioned cornice breaks forward at the
piers which continue as parapet dies. Hipped roof with
skylights and decorative octagonal ridge vents. Slightly
recessed end bay on left rises 2 storeys and has banded corner
pilasters and part-glazed panelled door in eared architrave
with keystone: corniced panel over reads 'ERECTED A.D. 1911'.
Terracotta band and keyed oculus beneath open segmental
pediment with cartouche in tympanum. Behind bay 1 the square
tower rises another storey and has banded corner pilasters and
an architraved doorway with balcony to each side. Modillioned
cornice beneath parapet with corner dies; domed cupola with
finial. Bay 6 as bay 1 but the doorway is now a window and
plaque reads 'Central Fire Station'; the pediment retains
original obelisks. INTERIOR: engine house lined with glazed
brick: recreation room above has arched ceiling. Opened
12.12.1912 having cost ยป6,000. Terracotta by Burmantofts of
Leeds. Well-preserved example of the first generation of fire
station built specifically for motorised appliances.


Listing NGR: SD1952469294

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.