History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Victoria Mill

A Grade II* Listed Building in Miles Platting and Newton Heat, Manchester

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 53.4899 / 53°29'23"N

Longitude: -2.2138 / 2°12'49"W

OS Eastings: 385909

OS Northings: 399261

OS Grid: SJ859992

Mapcode National: GBR DRC.9Z

Mapcode Global: WHB9G.YJZY

Entry Name: Victoria Mill

Listing Date: 29 November 1988

Grade: II*

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1197924

English Heritage Legacy ID: 388305

Location: Manchester, M40

County: Manchester

Electoral Ward/Division: Miles Platting and Newton Heat

Built-Up Area: Manchester

Traditional County: Lancashire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Greater Manchester

Find accommodation in
Manchester

Listing Text


MANCHESTER

SJ8599 LOWER VICKERS STREET, Miles Platting
698-1/15/747 (South side)
29/11/88 Victoria Mill

GV II*

Cotton spinning mill, now disused; a double mill built in 2
phases in 1869 and 1873. George Woodhouse, architect, for
William Holland. Red brick with yellow brick dressings; roof
not visible but probably slate. Fire-proof internal structure.
U-plan formed by 2 large rectangular spinning mills, joined by
a central engine house. Symmetrically planned about a central
stair turret wrapped around the chimney with engine house
(rebuilt in 1902 on conversion to rope drive) and boiler house
to the rear, in the centre of a narrow courtyard formed by the
2 mill ranges to either side of the stair tower, a 3-window
range, that to left with former internal engine house marked
by partially blocked round-arched window; the right hand range
obscured by a brick shaft of 1920. This central block is
flanked by the 2 spinning mills, each a 6-storey, 11x10 bay
block, with stressed angle pilasters (extended as privy towers
to N elevation). Italianate detail of spinning mills, which
have segmentally headed windows to 5 storeys, and coupled
round-headed windows to the upper storey, arcaded with shafts
and continuous sill band. 2-window towers towards centre of
each mill appear to be later additions. Interior not
inspected, but constructional system almost certainly
transverse brick arches carried on cast iron columns.
Ancillary buildings survive to NW of site, but former blowing
rooms and offices, which were built parallel to the front of
the mill across a narrow yard, and a range of ancillary
buildings to the SE are no longer extant.
A very large double mill for its date, which makes striking
use of a distinctive industrial architectural vocabulary
(especially in the economical design of combined stair tower
and chimney). An excellent example of the development of a
specifically industrial architecture, and of the work of
George Woodhouse.


Listing NGR: SJ8590999261

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.