This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 52.4241 / 52°25'26"N
Longitude: 1.481 / 1°28'51"E
OS Eastings: 636775
OS Northings: 286377
OS Grid: TM367863
Mapcode National: GBR XMV.37P
Mapcode Global: VHM6P.MB9K
Entry Name: Church of St Lawrence
Listing Date: 1 September 1953
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1197944
English Heritage Legacy ID: 282237
Location: St. Lawrence, Ilketshall, Waveney, Suffolk, NR34
Civil Parish: St. Lawrence, Ilketshall
Traditional County: Suffolk
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Suffolk
Church of England Parish: Ilketshall St Lawrence
Church of England Diocese: St.Edmundsbury and Ipswich
ILKETSHALL ST. LAWRENCE
TM 38 NE
2/20 Church of St. Lawrence
Parish church. C13 and C15. Nave, chancel, south porch, west tower. Rubble
flint to main walls, with remains of old render; freestone dressings; C20
concrete plaintiles to nave roof, black glazed pantiles to chancel. There are
no windows on the north side. 2-light windows on south: in nave, pointed-
arched and cusped, in chancel with curvilinear tracery. The east end is faced
in C19 red brick and the 3-light east window has cusped reticulated tracery.
A small early C19 vestry with a 2-light Gothick window leads off the north
doorway in the nave; there is also a blocked doorway near the altar on the
north side. Small tower in 3 stages, in a mixture of unknapped and knapped
flint, stone, and septaria; diagonal buttresses faced with plain flushwork
panels. The parapet is in red brick with flushwork panels. Flint and stone
south porch with black glazed pantiles and pointed-arched doorway. Interior
of church mildly Victorianised: benches, pulpit and lectern all C19. Nave
roof plastered, with only a moulded cornice exposed; chancel roof, C19, with
affinities to Leiston. The floors are paved with small old tiles in a pattern
of black, cream and red. There is no chancel arch. C15 font: small base,
octagonal shaft, and octagonal bowl supported by mutilated winged angel heads;
the faces of the bowl decorated with blank shields and a surround of fleurons.
In the chancel, a large pointed-arched niche in the north wall and 4 benches
with old poppyheads. Set into the floor of the tower, a plain brass to
Richard Beetes, d.1613.
Listing NGR: TM3677586377
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings