History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Bridge and Adjoining Gatepiers Approximately 35 Metres North East of North Lodge (That Part in Cornbury and Wychwood Civil Parish)

A Grade II Listed Building in Cornbury and Wychwood, Oxfordshire

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 51.8664 / 51°51'59"N

Longitude: -1.4855 / 1°29'7"W

OS Eastings: 435524

OS Northings: 218776

OS Grid: SP355187

Mapcode National: GBR 6TM.WTG

Mapcode Global: VHBZP.6CJ1

Entry Name: Bridge and Adjoining Gatepiers Approximately 35 Metres North East of North Lodge (That Part in Cornbury and Wychwood Civil Parish)

Listing Date: 13 June 1988

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1197946

English Heritage Legacy ID: 252460

Location: Cornbury and Wychwood, West Oxfordshire, Oxfordshire, OX7

County: Oxfordshire

District: West Oxfordshire

Civil Parish: Cornbury and Wychwood

Traditional County: Oxfordshire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Oxfordshire

Church of England Parish: Charlbury with Shorthampton

Church of England Diocese: Oxford

Find accommodation in
Charlbury

Listing Text

CORNBURY AND WYCHWOOD CORNBURY PARK
SP3518
13/20 Bridge and adjoining gatepiers
approx. 35m NE of North Lodge
(that part in Cornbury and
Wychwood C.P.)

GV II

Bridge and attached gatepiers. 1689, probably by William Talman. Ironstone
ashlar. Five round arches; larger central arch with raised keystone and flanking
pilasters and smaller arches to left and right with flush keystones. Parapet
with string course and coping. Pair of probably mid-C19 square limestone ashlar
gatepiers adjoining to the south-west forming the entrance to the entrance
courtyard in front of the North Lodge (q.v.); each with chamfered plinth,
moulded cornice and globe finial. The bridge is probably part of the work
carried out at Cornbury for the Earl of Clarendon by Talman in 1689. The bridge
carries the north-east drive from Charlbury to Cornbury House (q.v.) across the
River Evenlode.
(Buildings of England: Oxfordshire: p555)


Listing NGR: SP3552418776

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Selected Sources

Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.