This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 51.1244 / 51°7'27"N
Longitude: -1.8301 / 1°49'48"W
OS Eastings: 411984
OS Northings: 136142
OS Grid: SU119361
Mapcode National: GBR 50M.D4N
Mapcode Global: VHB5J.7ZBW
Entry Name: Church of All Saints
Listing Date: 18 February 1958
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1197978
English Heritage Legacy ID: 321575
Location: Woodford, Wiltshire, SP4
Civil Parish: Woodford
Traditional County: Wiltshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Wiltshire
Church of England Parish: Woodford Valley with Archers Gate
Church of England Diocese: Salisbury
WOODFORD MIDDLE WOODFORD
SU 13 NW
8/260 Church of All Saints
Anglican parish church. C12, C15, much restored in 1845 by T.H.
Wyatt. Tower, flint and limestone chequerwork, the remainder of
building C19 Tisbury stone ashlar incorporating C12 worked stone.
Tiled roofs, lead to aisles. Nave with south porch, short north
and south aisles, chancel with north vestry, and C15 west tower
with an external stair tower on north side. Nave has pilaster
buttresses, and 2-light cusped windows with label hoods. Aisles
have offsetting buttresses and 3-light windows. Parapet. Chancel
has high set lancets with dripmouldings, all with varied mask
terminals. Three-light east window with C19 curvilinear tracery.
Tower is of 2 stages, angle buttresses and 2-light bell openings,
crenellated parapet and corner gargoyles. West door and 3-light
window over. South porch C19, steeply gabled, with large terminals
to four-centred outer arch. C12 inner door with nook shafts and
scalloped capitals, and an outer order of arch lozenges, inner of
horizontal chevrons. Two centred door set within. Mass dial at
Interior: Nave plastered and flagged. C19 roof of 4 bays; arch
braced collars on hammer beams, and shaped wind braces to single
purlins. Two bay arcade to each short aisle, that on south C15
hollow sided octagonal columns, capitals and imposts, one with
trefoiled niche, and arcade repeated in C19 on north. Chancel arch
with robust stiff leaf capitals with dog-tooth band on double
shafts. Tower arch C15 with inner shaft and outer hollow chamfer,
and arch of two hollow chamfered orders. Chancel, also C19, of 2
bays, similar roof. C15 piscina on south side. Fittings: Font
C15. Octagonal with quatrefoiled panels on a tapered base. Pulpit
C19, oak, with stone approach steps and low balustrade. Pews,
choir stalls and communion rail C19. Tower screen, late C16-early
C17, round arched arcade with carved spandrels, wider at centre
with a pair of doors. Brackets and plaster coving to a canted
panelled gallery over. Monuments: Chancel, north side, Gothic
limestone monument by Osmund. To William Bowles of Heale House,
died 1826. South side: (a) Long sarcophagus tablet of grey and
white marble, damaged, to Canon William Bowles, died 1788, and
wife. (b) Tablet of grey and white marbles. Arms in monstrance
over, cornice, and shaped apron. To Rev John Wyndham, died 1816.
Nave, north side: White marble tablet on grey, by Osmund. Gabled
corniced tablet to William Lawer, died 1813, and wife and son.
North Aisle: Small moulded marble tablet by Croomes, to Mrs Hannah
Biggs, a domestic, died 1812, and two terrazzo C20 monuments.
South Aisle: (a) Limestone wall monuments carrying a brass panel
with strapwork surround, cornice over carrying arms, plinth below.
To Gerrard Errington of Heale, died 1596. Some painting. (b)
Elegant wall monument in Carrara marble. Oak leaves and scrolls
flanking panel. Carved frieze, cornice and shaped gable flanked by
lamps. Putto on apron and acanthus brackets. To Edward Polhill,
died 1759, and sister, died 1782. Brass: In south aisle, a plain
brass 1809 to Philip Self, and C20 brasses in north aisle. Small
royal arms of George III, painted. Furniture: C17 chest of 5
carved panes and two differing late C17-early C18 half-octagonal
tables with arches between turned legs.
(Pevsner, Buildings of England, WILTSHIRE; Churches of South East
Wiltshire. RCHM 1987)
Listing NGR: SU1198436142
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings