This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 52.1841 / 52°11'2"N
Longitude: 0.9466 / 0°56'47"E
OS Eastings: 601537
OS Northings: 258076
OS Grid: TM015580
Mapcode National: GBR SJR.04M
Mapcode Global: VHKDN.CC9J
Entry Name: St Georges School, Finborough Hall
Listing Date: 9 December 1955
Last Amended: 22 January 1988
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1198011
English Heritage Legacy ID: 279888
Location: Great Finborough, Mid Suffolk, Suffolk, IP14
District: Mid Suffolk
Civil Parish: Great Finborough
Built-Up Area: Great Finborough
Traditional County: Suffolk
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Suffolk
Church of England Parish: Great Finborough St Andrew
Church of England Diocese: St.Edmundsbury and Ipswich
GREAT FINBOROUGH FINBOROUGH PARK
TM 05 NW
2/113 St. George's School,
Finborough Hall (formerly
listed as Finborough Hall
9.12.55 and stables)
Preparatory school, formerly country house. 1795 for Roger Pettiward, by F.
Sandys. Major mid C19 and C20 extensions at the west end. In the Tuscan
style. Gault brick with dressings of stucco. Low-pitched hipped slated
roofs; a bold eaves cornice with large modillions. Internal chimneys of gault
brick, and a central lead-clad dome. North entrance front of 7 windows,
including a full-height central semi-circular bay, 3 windows wide and with a
parapet. 2 storeys. Small-pane sashes with mid C19 moulded stucco
architraves and cornices. A semi-circular portico projects forward from the
bay: 6 Tuscan columns support a flat entablature; a pair of C19 part-glazed
panelled entrance doors, and a square fanlight with radiating bars. On the
south front, in the equivalent position, is a similar bay without the portico;
the flanking windows (one on each side) are tripartite sashes. On the 5-
window east front is a giant portico of 4 columns supporting a pediment.
Major mid C19 extensions to the west side are mainly of 2 storeys, but include
an Italianate tower and an orangery with an arcade of 8 round-arched windows.
A good staircase with unusual wrought-iron balustrading.
Listing NGR: TM0153758076
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings