History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Cantorist House

A Grade II Listed Building in Childrey, Oxfordshire

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 51.5877 / 51°35'15"N

Longitude: -1.4814 / 1°28'52"W

OS Eastings: 436028

OS Northings: 187773

OS Grid: SU360877

Mapcode National: GBR 6Y3.J8W

Mapcode Global: VHC11.8CQ7

Entry Name: Cantorist House

Listing Date: 24 November 1966

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1198050

English Heritage Legacy ID: 250677

Location: Childrey, Vale of White Horse, Oxfordshire, OX12

County: Oxfordshire

District: Vale of White Horse

Civil Parish: Childrey

Built-Up Area: Childrey

Traditional County: Berkshire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Oxfordshire

Find accommodation in
Balking

Listing Text

CHILDREY CHURCH ROW
SU3687 (North side)
12/50 Cantorist House
24/11/66

GV II


House. Late C17 left wing and central range with earlier C17 right wing. Left
and central wings built of chalk rubble brought to course, rendered front to
left wing; limestone dressings and brick quoins to central blocks; right wing
has C20 mock timber-framing with brick infill, this being a replacement of the
original timber frame, and has C18 chalk and brick to right side wall. Stone
slate roof to left wing, tiled to central and right wings; brick stacks.
Central hall block flanked by side wings. 2-storey side wings, 1 1/2 storey
central block, 3-window range. Plain pointed arch of c.1900 with splayed
architrave over plank door to left side of central block. Right wing has
four-light C20 window. Central block has flat brick arches over two mullioned
and transomed 4-light windows of c.1900 divided by central buttress: rear
elevation has hipped dormers flanking central gabled projection of c.1900 with
6-light mullioned and transomed windows. Front of left wing has projecting
gable end stack; 3-window range to left side all of timber lintels over
original 3-light leaded casements, 2 restored; right side has timber lintel
over blocked ribbed door, 2-window range has one original 3-light leaded
casement and similar C20 casments. Hipped roof to right, gabled to left; ridge,
end and lateral stacks. Interior: right side wing retains 3-bay queen- strut
roof with butt purlins; to right of entrance to central block is keyed arch
opening to main room, open to roof with middle truss of C17 queen-post roof
with clasped purlins removed; Edwardian fireplace in French Gothic style and
carved heads of c.1900 flank rear square bay; carved ornament to ends of all
lintels. Left wing has straight-flight and quarter-turn stairs of c.1900;
chamfered and stopped beams and chamfered bressumer over open fireplace in rear
room, and full set of chamfered and stopped beams with C17 stone fireplace in
front room; chamfered and stopped beams to first floor, marble fireplace of
c.1900 to rear wall and stone C17 fireplace to front room; 4-bay queen-strut
and collar-truss with butt purlins. To rear of left wing is 2-storey block of
c.1800: Flemish bond brick, original rainwater goods, tiled roof.


Listing NGR: SU3602887773

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.