History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Appleton Manor

A Grade II* Listed Building in Appleton-with-Eaton, Oxfordshire

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 51.7106 / 51°42'38"N

Longitude: -1.3594 / 1°21'33"W

OS Eastings: 444356

OS Northings: 201510

OS Grid: SP443015

Mapcode National: GBR 7Y1.R40

Mapcode Global: VHCXZ.D86H

Entry Name: Appleton Manor

Listing Date: 6 August 1952

Last Amended: 6 July 1987

Grade: II*

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1198061

English Heritage Legacy ID: 249510

Location: Appleton-with-Eaton, Vale of White Horse, Oxfordshire, OX13

County: Oxfordshire

District: Vale of White Horse

Civil Parish: Appleton-with-Eaton

Built-Up Area: Appleton

Traditional County: Berkshire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Oxfordshire

Church of England Parish: Appleton

Church of England Diocese: Oxford

Find accommodation in
Standlake

Listing Text

APPLETON WITH EATON EATON ROAD
SP4401 (East side)
Appleton
9/13 Appleton Manor
06/08/52 (Formerly listed as No.16
(Appleton Manor House)
including barn)

GV II*

Manor house, now house. c.1190-1200, of which the screens and parlour end to
right survive: late C16 porch, early C17 extension to left: remodelled and
extended to rear by Detmar Blow and Billerus for Mrs. Timpson, in 1924.
Uncoursed limestone rubble, ashlar dressings, with slate hanging at top of
gabled right bay; jettied and timber-framed first floor of porch has close
studding. Gabled stone slate roof; stone ridge and internal stacks. Late C12
plan form unclear: remodelled as L-plan in Arts and Crafts style with rear left
wing in 1924. 2 storeys and attic; 6-window range, includes gabled fronts of
right outer bay, central bay and gabled porch right of centre. Very fine late
C12 doorway has deep-moulded arch set on 3 orders of colonettes with stiff-leaf
capitals. Porch in front has early C19 nine-panelled door, with dolphin knocker,
set in moulded wood architrave: jettied first floor of late C16 porch has
wood-mullioned ovolo-moulded canted bay window supported on brackets carved in
low relief. Early C20 canted bay window with stone-mullioned lights in central
bay to left. 2-window range to left has timber lintels over central C20 door,
with early C20 casement to right: late C16/C17 two-light ovolo-moulded
cross-window to left, and similar 2-light windows above which include reused
late C16/C17 mullions to right. Late C12 roll-moulded arris to rear right corner
of parlour. Side walls and rear remodelled by Blow and Billerus, who added
similar canted bay windows and hipped roof dormers. Interior: the hall entered
through the main doorway has 2 late C12 chamfered round-arched service doorways
to the left, with roll-moulded hood moulds and a small carved head in between.
Room to right divided from hall by late C16 inserted stack: chamfered bressumer
over open fireplace with re-used roll-moulded jambs, and late C16 panelling. 2
fireplaces with chamfered bressuners to left. First floor: late C16 moulded
stone fireplace to right. Porch has stop-chamfered beams, and close-studded left
side wall with blocked 2-light ovolo-moulded wood-mullioned windows: C17 room to
left of porch has stop-chamfered beam and chamfered bressumer over fireplace.
Other interior features are by Blow and Billerus: these include some reused
early C18 panelling, doors, fireplaces and a late C17-style staircase which has
thick turned balusters and newel posts finished with roughly rounded blocks. The
late C12 part of the house makes Appleton Manor one of the oldest surviving
inhabited manor houses in Britain: "an amazing survival". (Pevsner). The late
C12 hall is defined by the roll-moulded arris to the outer wall and the
magnificent entrance and 2 service doorways at the other end. Appleton Manor was
purchased by Sir John Fettiplace in 1580 - see Church of St. Lawrence (q.v.) -
and in 1634 by Speaker Lenthall of Burford, who restored the Church at
Besselsleigh (q.v.).
(Buildings of England: Berkshire, pp.65-6; Arthur Oswald, "Appleton Manor",
Country Life, 11th June 1929, pp.670-00; V.C.H.: Berkshire, Vol.IV, p.335; M.
Wood, The English Medieval House, 1965, pp.124 and 539; 1820 drawings by Buckler
in Bodleian Library, MS Top. Berks C.49, No.24 and Ms Top.gen.a.ll, fol.2, No.5)


Listing NGR: SP4435601510

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Selected Sources

Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.