History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Ubbeston Hall

A Grade II Listed Building in Stonham Aspal, Suffolk

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 52.1927 / 52°11'33"N

Longitude: 1.1189 / 1°7'8"E

OS Eastings: 613272

OS Northings: 259527

OS Grid: TM132595

Mapcode National: GBR TL3.FQK

Mapcode Global: VHLB6.B4WW

Entry Name: Ubbeston Hall

Listing Date: 9 December 1955

Last Amended: 26 March 1987

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1198068

English Heritage Legacy ID: 279437

Location: Stonham Aspal, Mid Suffolk, Suffolk, IP14

County: Suffolk

District: Mid Suffolk

Civil Parish: Stonham Aspal

Built-Up Area: Stonham Aspal

Traditional County: Suffolk

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Suffolk

Church of England Parish: Stonham Aspal St Mary and St Lambert

Church of England Diocese: St.Edmundsbury and Ipswich

Find accommodation in
Stonham Aspall

Listing Text

STONHAM ASPAL STOWMARKET ROAD
TM 15 NW
5/186
- Ubbeston Hall (formerly
9-12-55 listed as Church Farmhouse)
- II

House, formerly manor house. A mid or late C15 3-cell open hall house with a
mid C16 extension at the north service end. 2 storeys. Timber-framed and
plastered with good early C18 cable-pattern pargetting in panels with ribbed
borders; over the entrance is a panel with the raised plaster date 1721 over
initials RG.; now fixed to the bakehouse chimney is a triangular panel with
raised plaster motifs, removed from the external gable. Thatched roof with
axial and gable C17/C18 chimneys of red brick. One C20 eyebrow dormer.
Mainly C19 small-pane casements. Battened and boarded arched C20 entrance
door at cross-entry position, with open thatched gabled porch on posts. An
open hall of 2 bays: the open truss has a cambered tie-beam with wide arch
braces and an octagonal crownpost with moulded capital and base, and 4-way
plank braces. Both end walls have tension-braced close-studding. Complete
smoke-encrusted roof, with original plaster between rafters. Twin service
doorways with chamfered 4-centred arches. The service cell has an additional
bay, giving in total, 4 small service rooms. Both end cells have unchamfered
joists, and gabled crownpost roofs. A chimney was inserted, backing on to the
cross-passage, in c.1600 and an upper floor placed over the hall, with ovolo-
moulded beams. A cross-wing was added in C16, containing a probable dairy
with cheese room over, and a 2-bay bakehouse. The latter is open to the roof
(of wind-braced clasped-purlin form); one of the cross-entry doorways
survives, with a 4-centred arched head. An internal end fireplace with later
bread oven.


Listing NGR: TM1327259527

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.