History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Bliss Tweed Mill

A Grade II* Listed Building in Chipping Norton, Oxfordshire

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 51.9379 / 51°56'16"N

Longitude: -1.5587 / 1°33'31"W

OS Eastings: 430434

OS Northings: 226696

OS Grid: SP304266

Mapcode National: GBR 5RF.GRG

Mapcode Global: VHBZ7.XKV7

Entry Name: Bliss Tweed Mill

Listing Date: 3 July 1980

Grade: II*

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1198094

English Heritage Legacy ID: 251706

Location: Chipping Norton, West Oxfordshire, Oxfordshire, OX7

County: Oxfordshire

District: West Oxfordshire

Civil Parish: Chipping Norton

Traditional County: Oxfordshire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Oxfordshire

Church of England Parish: Chipping Norton with Over Norton

Church of England Diocese: Oxford

Find accommodation in
Salford

Listing Text


SP 3026-3126 CHIPPING NORTON

1169/4/90 Bliss Tweed Mill

3.7.1980
II*

Tweed cloth mill; converted into apartments. 1872, as dated below clock on the circular chimney stack, by George Woodhouse, a Lancashire architect specialising in mill structures. Bliss Mill is an exceptional design, rivalling Lister Mills, Bradford and the earlier ones at Saltaire. Built of local limestone, the elevations of the spinning mill proper, of 5 storeys, one treated in a manner that owes much to a Barry-type conception of the country house, with square belvedere staircase towers to the corners segmented by balustraded parapets with pairs of urn finials. The top storey windows have twin arcaded lights. The dominating feature is the chimney stack rising from an engaged circular tower, a sophisticated aesthetic solution to a functional requirement, with a ribbed leaded dome providing the transition to the lofty Tuscan order shaft of the stack proper. The multi-gabled weaving shed adjoins. The internal construction is of cast iron columns supporting transverse beams bearing the longitudinal segmental brick vaults which spring from slender I section girders. A remarkable opulent design in a park-like setting.


Listing NGR: SP3043426696

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.