This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 51.7394 / 51°44'21"N
Longitude: -1.6048 / 1°36'17"W
OS Eastings: 427386
OS Northings: 204597
OS Grid: SP273045
Mapcode National: GBR 5TP.WLS
Mapcode Global: VHC06.4JGX
Entry Name: Church of St Peter
Listing Date: 12 September 1955
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1198102
English Heritage Legacy ID: 253323
Location: Alvescot, West Oxfordshire, Oxfordshire, OX18
District: West Oxfordshire
Civil Parish: Alvescot
Built-Up Area: Alvescot
Traditional County: Oxfordshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Oxfordshire
Church of England Parish: Alvescot
Church of England Diocese: Oxford
SP2604-2704 ALVESCOT MILL LANF
9/13 (East side)
12/09/55 Church of St. Peter
Church. Earliest surviving features are early C13 details of north transept, and
C13 north door of nave. C14 south porch. Later C15 west tower, nave and south
transept, latter with south wall rebuilt C16. Chancel rebuilt C19, probably
during restorations of 1872-3 by W. Slater and R.H. Carpenter. Coursed rubble
limestone with stone slate roofs. Cruciform plan. West tower is of three stages
with battlemented parapet, diagonal buttresses and south-west stair projection.
C15 openings, with 2-light traceried windows to bellchamber, 3-light traceried
west window, and small west door in double chamfered pointed head. Nave has
coved cornice and off-set buttress with mass dial. Large C15 south window of 3
lights with Perpendicular tracery and small carved head stops to hoodmould;
C15-C16 2-light north window with Tudor hoodmould. North door is blocked and has
2-centred arch with hoodmould; south door is C13-C14 with moulded arch and
carved head hoodmould stops. South porch has 2-centred arch, stone benches and
lean-to roof to transept. South transept has C15-C16 2-light east window with
cusped lights, and C16 3-light south window without cusping, both with Tudor
hoodmoulds. North transept retains original east lancet and small blocked west
doorway with semi-circular arch, but has C19 2-light window in north wall. 2-bay
chancel has C19 traceried windows in Decorated style, 2-light to north and
south, 3-light to east, and C19 gabled vestry and boiler house to north.
Interior: nave has double hollow-chamfered arch to tower, and blocked stair door
with 4-centred arch. At east end of nave on north side is a shallow niche with
cusped 4-centred arch and traces of wall-painting. Nave roof remodelled C19 with
quatrefoil wind-bracing but retaining C17-C18 tie-beams. Former roof-line marked
by stone corbels with carved heads below. Between nave and south transept is a
large arch similar to tower arch, with narrower simpler arch to east. South
transept has trefoil-headed piscina and both transepts have squints to chancel.
Arch between north transept and nave is early C13, restored, with moulded
capital and base to cylindrical half-pier at west respond. Chancel arch matches
tower arch. Interior of chancel is C19 but incorporates some original features,
including a small lancet window in north wall, an altered piscina, 2 stone
roundels in east wall, and a pair of very small arched niches in north wall.
Also in north wall is an Easter Sepulchre (?) assembled from various pieces of
C14 masonry. Fittings: font is C12-C13 and has square stone bowl with shafted
corners on base with narrow band of nailhead ornament. Charity panel of 1831 in
tower. Other fittings and glass are C19. Monuments: brasses to Alice Malory 1579
and husband, in south transept. 3 good marble wall tablets in nave: a) to Samuel
Adams, Rector, d.1750, with obelisk and urn on pedestal. b) to Goddard Carter,
d.1725, and wife Rebecca, with open pediment on Ionic columns, and charity panel
below, c) to Elizabeth Adams, d.1728, and 7 children, with 3 carved cherub heads
in a roundel. In tower are a simple tablet to Alice Wayne 1675, and a marble
tablet to Martha Rudger, 1772.
(Buildings of England: Oxfordshire: 1974, p421)
Listing NGR: SP2738604597
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings