History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Bowden Hill House

A Grade II Listed Building in Lacock, Wiltshire

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 51.4071 / 51°24'25"N

Longitude: -2.0887 / 2°5'19"W

OS Eastings: 393928

OS Northings: 167568

OS Grid: ST939675

Mapcode National: GBR 2T4.LRT

Mapcode Global: VH96K.RW5P

Entry Name: Bowden Hill House

Listing Date: 7 January 1987

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1198125

English Heritage Legacy ID: 315455

Location: Lacock, Wiltshire, SN15

County: Wiltshire

Civil Parish: Lacock

Traditional County: Wiltshire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Wiltshire

Church of England Parish: Lacock with Bowden Hill

Church of England Diocese: Bristol

Find accommodation in
Lacock

Listing Text

LACOCK BOWDEN HILL
ST 96 NW
(south side)
3/22 Bowden Hill House
II

Country House, c1850-60, squared ironstone with ashlar dressings,
Bridgwater tile roofs and shaped ashlar stacks. Two storeys and
attic, Jacobean style with coped shaped gables and mullion-and-
transom windows. Main front has 3 gables, each with 2-light
mullion window. Parapet between. Main floors have 2-storey
crenellated canted bay of 1-3-1 light windows each side, a single
4-light ground floor centre window and 2-light, 3-light and 2-light
windows to first floor centre. Continuous moulded courses over
each floor. Five-shaft rear stack to left, 5-shaft cross-axial
stack on ridge. End gables are similar, but right end has single
storey projection, part of a demolished range. Two rear wings
each with shaped end gables. North west rear wing has shaped
gable on west side and projecting flat-roofed enclosed porch in
angle behind main range.
Interior not inspected.
House was probably built for H. A. Merewether Q.C. (d 1877) and was
owned by H. Harris in 1880s.
(Wiltshire at Opening of XX Century, 1906 17)


Listing NGR: ST9392867568

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Selected Sources

Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.