History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

2 Chest Tombs to Hall Family, in Churchyard of St Peter, 5 Metres to South of South Transept

A Grade II Listed Building in Alvescot, Oxfordshire

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 51.7393 / 51°44'21"N

Longitude: -1.6047 / 1°36'16"W

OS Eastings: 427391

OS Northings: 204586

OS Grid: SP273045

Mapcode National: GBR 5TP.WN3

Mapcode Global: VHC06.4JHZ

Entry Name: 2 Chest Tombs to Hall Family, in Churchyard of St Peter, 5 Metres to South of South Transept

Listing Date: 4 May 1989

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1198141

English Heritage Legacy ID: 253325

Location: Alvescot, West Oxfordshire, Oxfordshire, OX18

County: Oxfordshire

District: West Oxfordshire

Civil Parish: Alvescot

Built-Up Area: Alvescot

Traditional County: Oxfordshire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Oxfordshire

Church of England Parish: Alvescot

Church of England Diocese: Oxford

Find accommodation in
Alvescot

Listing Text

SP2604-2704 ALVESCOT MILL LANE
9/15 (East side)
2 chest tombs to Hall family,
in churchyard of St. Peter,
5m to S of S transept

GV II
2 chest tombs, both of limestone: 1) to James Hall , 1755, and Richard Hall,
1785, with moulded base and cornice lid, and moulded top. Inscription panel on
north side has carved foliage surround and flanking pilasters with carved
foliage scrolls and cherub heads. Inscription panel on south side is moulded,
with moulded pilasters. Moulded end panels. 2) to James Hall 176(?), with
moulded base and cornice lid, and moulded top. Inscription panel on south side
has shaped cartouche with foliage scroll border, 2 winged cherub heads, and
asymmetrical foliage pilasters of different date. Similar inscription cartouche
on west end. North side has worn inscription slab with triple-fluted pilasters.
Moulded east panel.


Listing NGR: SP2739104586

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.