History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

The Sign of the Angel

A Grade II* Listed Building in Lacock, Wiltshire

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 51.4161 / 51°24'57"N

Longitude: -2.1224 / 2°7'20"W

OS Eastings: 391586

OS Northings: 168570

OS Grid: ST915685

Mapcode National: GBR 1RR.47H

Mapcode Global: VH96K.5NBS

Entry Name: The Sign of the Angel

Listing Date: 20 December 1960

Grade: II*

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1198180

English Heritage Legacy ID: 315476

Location: Lacock, Wiltshire, SN15

County: Wiltshire

Civil Parish: Lacock

Built-Up Area: Lacock

Traditional County: Wiltshire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Wiltshire

Church of England Parish: Lacock with Bowden Hill

Church of England Diocese: Bristol

Find accommodation in
Lacock

Listing Text

LACOCK CHURCH STREET
ST 9168
(north side)
4/42 No 6 (The Sign of the Angel)
20.12.60
GV II*

House, late C15, rubble stone and timber-frame with stone slate
roofs. Two storeys. Exceptionally fine front of 2 jettied gables
with framing above, exposed in early C20, over substantially intact
stone ground floor. A lower narrow gable to left has plastered
upper floor over triple casement. Main range has roof hipped to
west and ridge stack. Left gable has decorative framing over two
C20 leaded oriel windows, right gable has applied planking over
framing and first floor casement pair. Ground floor left has broad
entrance passage with Tudor-arched carved timber-lintel and inner
plank door in pointed-arched hollow-moulded surround. In porch
space, a side doorway into former shop which has front 15-pane
window inserted in broad C15 hollow-moulded frame. Ground floor
right has fine canted stone bay with dripmould and 1-4-1-light
hollow-moulded mullion windows. East side stack. Cross wing
continues behind with exposed square framing on east side wall
infilled in red brick. Massive north end stack.
Interior: through-passage, large moulded fireplace with altered
head and carved shelf backing onto passage, moulded beams, east end
moulded stone fireplace on ground floor. First floor: windbraced
roofs to small west room and left room of main range which has
Tudor-arched fireplace and panelling dated 1639. Said to have been
built in 1480.


Listing NGR: ST9158668570

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.