History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Church of St Martin of Tours

A Grade II* Listed Building in Nacton, Suffolk

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 52.0114 / 52°0'40"N

Longitude: 1.2292 / 1°13'45"E

OS Eastings: 621704

OS Northings: 239693

OS Grid: TM217396

Mapcode National: GBR VPP.ZHZ

Mapcode Global: VHLC1.8P5Y

Entry Name: Church of St Martin of Tours

Listing Date: 16 March 1966

Last Amended: 20 May 1985

Grade: II*

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1198181

English Heritage Legacy ID: 286188

Location: Nacton, Suffolk Coastal, Suffolk, IP10

County: Suffolk

District: Suffolk Coastal

Civil Parish: Nacton

Traditional County: Suffolk

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Suffolk

Church of England Parish: Nacton

Church of England Diocese: St.Edmundsbury and Ipswich

Find accommodation in
Shotley

Listing Text

TM 23 NW NACTON ORWELL PARK

5/22 Church of St. Martin of
Tours (Formerly listed as
Church of St Martin)
16.3.66 II*

Church, mediaeval with major alterations of 1870 and 1908. Nave, chancel and
west tower. The south chapel was added 1870. The north aisle with organ
chamber and vestry, and open timber-framed south porch were added 1908, all in
the perpendicular Style. Rendered walling, the mediaeval work is probably of
flint and other rubble; freestone quoins. Plaintiled roofs. In the north
chancel wall is a lancet of early C13; in the south wall is a 2-light Y-
traceried window of early C14, and another of one light. The adjacent priests
doorway is a renewal of 1908, perhaps a copy of a C13 original. The nave was
rebuilt on a new alignment, perhaps in C14. The 2 restored south windows with
good corbel heads and south doorway with original battened plank door are of
early C15, but the reset jambs of the north doorway are perhaps C14. In the
south nave wall is a C14 or early C15 piscina for a side-altar. The C15 tower
has a 3-light west window with mask-corbels; above is a canopy for an image
niche now blocked. In the late C18 or early C19 the belfry stage was removed
and gault brick parapet constructed. Main roofs renewed 1908; in the nave the
trusses have collar-beams and kingposts. Fine C15 octagonal limestone font;
the stem has carved lions at the corner and wild men between, and the bowl has
angels and evangelists. In a south chancel window is a small panel of
mediaeval stained glass. A large marble wall tablet to Edward Vernon (d.1757)
and others to members of his family are in the north aisle. On the nave wall
is a tablet to Philip Broke (d.1762). A floor brass to Richard Fastolph of
Broke Hall, with shield and date 1479. In the chancel floor is an C18 ledger
slab. Stained glass by Clayton and Bell, and in the east window by Kempe.


Listing NGR: TM2170439693

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.