History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Church of St Peter

A Grade II* Listed Building in Blaxhall, Suffolk

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 52.1604 / 52°9'37"N

Longitude: 1.4443 / 1°26'39"E

OS Eastings: 635672

OS Northings: 256945

OS Grid: TM356569

Mapcode National: GBR WPK.KY8

Mapcode Global: VHM7T.ZYDP

Entry Name: Church of St Peter

Listing Date: 25 October 1984

Grade: II*

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1198204

English Heritage Legacy ID: 285174

Location: Blaxhall, Suffolk Coastal, Suffolk, IP12

County: Suffolk

District: Suffolk Coastal

Civil Parish: Blaxhall

Traditional County: Suffolk

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Suffolk

Church of England Parish: Blaxhall St Peter

Church of England Diocese: St.Edmundsbury and Ipswich

Find accommodation in
Blaxhall

Listing Text

BLAXHALL CHURCH ROAD
TM 35 NE
3/1 Church of St. Peter
16.3.66 (Formerly listed under
General)
- II*
Parish Church. C14 west tower. C13 nave. Much restored in mid C19 especially
the chancel. Tower in random flint, flushwork, stepped diagonal buttresses
with stone quoins. Nave and chancel have rubble walls with cement render.
Nave has slate roof: Chancel plain tiled roof. Tower embattlemented in red
brick: part of repair to upper stages. 4-stage tower with brick base and
brick replacing flushwork. West doorway has a two centred pointed moulded
arch springing from 2 engaged columns with moulded caps: hood mould with
fleurons and spandrels with an angel and a monster head. Above the west door
is a quatrefoil frieze in flushwork. This doorway is bricked up. The nave
and chancel have c.1300 windows with intersecting tracery 2 to north and south
walls in brick and 2 in stone, one cusped. South porch in random flint with
stone and flushwork buttresses and stone decoration. The nave has an early
C16 arch-braced hammerbeam roof with traceried spandrels. Ogee arched
piscina. Alabaster monument to Francis Saunders 1621. The C14 font has
traceried base and stem with symbols of the four evangelists: the octagonal
bowl has foils, stars and shields. C20 work by the Rope sisters Ellen,
Margaret and Dorothy includes stained glass east window and a figure of St.
George modelled on Michael Rope who died in the R101 airship disaster.


Listing NGR: TM3567256945

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.