History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Josca's Preparatory School

A Grade II Listed Building in Frilford, Oxfordshire

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 51.6718 / 51°40'18"N

Longitude: -1.365 / 1°21'53"W

OS Eastings: 444008

OS Northings: 197189

OS Grid: SU440971

Mapcode National: GBR 7YM.3QQ

Mapcode Global: VHCY5.977S

Entry Name: Josca's Preparatory School

Listing Date: 6 July 1987

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1198249

English Heritage Legacy ID: 249544

Location: Frilford, Vale of White Horse, Oxfordshire, OX13

County: Oxfordshire

District: Vale of White Horse

Civil Parish: Frilford

Traditional County: Berkshire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Oxfordshire

Church of England Parish: Marcham with Garford

Church of England Diocese: Oxford

Find accommodation in
Garford

Listing Text

FRILFORD
SU4397, SU4497 Josca's Preparatory School
15/46, 16/46

- II

House, now school. Mid C18: front range built c.1840 for the Aldworth family.
Coursed dressed limestone; gabled and stone-coped slate roof; stone ridge, end
and internal stacks. Double-depth plan. Jacobean Revival style. 2 storeys.
4-window range, with projecting outer bays. 2-light stone-mullioned windows
above central Tudor-arched doorway: panelled door set back within moulded
surround with stained glass windows. Dutch-gabled outer bays have
stone-mullioned and transomed 2-storey canted bay windows. Mid C18 wing to rear
left, remodelled and extended in C19 and C20: of similar materials, with 8-pane
sashes. Interior: mainly mid C19, including mid C19 bolection-panelled doors and
shutters. Mid C18 dog-leg stairs with turned balusters to rear of hall, adjoins
panelled room. One of 2 villas in Frilford built for the Aldworths in c.1840.
The Dutch gables with their mullioned and transomed bay windows are also found
in J.C. Loundon's designs for his "Beau Ideal Villa".
(J.C. Loundon "An encyclopedia of cottage, farm and villa architecture, 1833,
figs. 1438-9; M. Billings Directory and 6azetter of Berkshire and Oxfordshire,
1854, p.274; John Betjeman and John Piper, (Ed.), Murray's Architectural Guide:
Berkshire, 1949, p.131).


Listing NGR: SU4400897189

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Selected Sources

Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.