History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Three Monuments in Churchyard Adjacent to South Wall of Chancel of Church of St Cyriac

A Grade II Listed Building in Lacock, Wiltshire

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 51.416 / 51°24'57"N

Longitude: -2.1204 / 2°7'13"W

OS Eastings: 391720

OS Northings: 168564

OS Grid: ST917685

Mapcode National: GBR 1RR.4QV

Mapcode Global: VH96K.6NCT

Entry Name: Three Monuments in Churchyard Adjacent to South Wall of Chancel of Church of St Cyriac

Listing Date: 7 January 1987

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1198268

English Heritage Legacy ID: 315498

Location: Lacock, Wiltshire, SN15

County: Wiltshire

Civil Parish: Lacock

Built-Up Area: Lacock

Traditional County: Wiltshire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Wiltshire

Church of England Parish: Lacock with Bowden Hill

Church of England Diocese: Bristol

Find accommodation in
Lacock

Listing Text

LACOCK CHURCH STREET
ST 9168
(south side)
4/64 Three monuments in churchyard
adjacent to south wall of chancel
of Church of St Cyriac
GV II

Three chest tombs, C18 to early C19, ashlar. From west:
a) Mayo memorial, early C19, with moulded base and cornice,
pulvinated frieze recessed at centre and angles. Fluted angle
strips and fluted centre strip in sunk panel. Inscription to
James Mayo d 1807.
b) Truman memorial, later C18, with moulded base and cornice,
frieze with fluting and rosettes, broken forward over centre
oval plaque with carved spandrels. Fielded and fluted panels
flanking, each with oval patera and end piers with floral drop.
Blackened ground to ornament. Inscription to Benjamin Truman
d 1777.
c) Unidentified memorial, mid C18, with moulded base and cornice
broken forward over fluted centre and angle piers. Two raised
shield plaques each side, arched east end plaque, skull, bones
and hour-glass on west end.


Listing NGR: ST9172068559

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.