History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

The Old Rectory

A Grade II Listed Building in St. Margaret, South Elmham, Suffolk

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 52.4028 / 52°24'9"N

Longitude: 1.3997 / 1°23'59"E

OS Eastings: 631361

OS Northings: 283744

OS Grid: TM313837

Mapcode National: GBR WLM.6QR

Mapcode Global: VHM6N.6VVX

Entry Name: The Old Rectory

Listing Date: 1 September 1953

Last Amended: 27 April 1987

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1198286

English Heritage Legacy ID: 282329

Location: St. Margaret, South Elmham, Waveney, Suffolk, IP20

County: Suffolk

District: Waveney

Civil Parish: St. Margaret, South Elmham

Traditional County: Suffolk

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Suffolk

Church of England Parish: South Elmham St Margaret St Margaret

Church of England Diocese: St.Edmundsbury and Ipswich

Find accommodation in
Saint Margaret

Listing Text

SOUTH ELMHAM, ST. MARGARET ST. MARGARET'S GREEN
TM 38 SW

4/69 The Old Rectory (formerly
1.9.53 listed as Rectory Farmhouse)

- II

Farmhouse, formerly the rectory. Early and later C19. 2 storeys. White
brick to the front range; red brick on the back walls of the later side and
rear ranges; slates. Shallow-pitched hipped roof with a plain wooden eaves
cornice and a central triangular pediment. Facade in 3 bays, divided by paired
flat pilasters at the corners and on each side of the centre, which breaks
forward slightly; a band between the upper and lower windows in the 2 outer
bays. 3 window range: small-paned sashes, with cased frames and flat arches,
in deep reveals. The central window, above the entrance, has a flat pediment
above, supported by ornate console brackets. Porch with pilaster and
entablature having egg-and-dart ornament; the. original flat roof replaced by a
slightly domed lead roof. A pair of panelled doors with applied mouldings.
The entrance hall has a groined vaulted plaster ceiling, and there are several
fine plaster cornices. On the south wall of the rear extensions is a brick
with a date and initials A.S. 1888.


Listing NGR: TM3136183744

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.