This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 50.9381 / 50°56'17"N
Longitude: 0.2945 / 0°17'40"E
OS Eastings: 561308
OS Northings: 117915
OS Grid: TQ613179
Mapcode National: GBR MSB.389
Mapcode Global: FRA C6HM.JKF
Entry Name: The Old Rectory
Listing Date: 30 August 1966
Last Amended: 12 August 1981
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1198296
English Heritage Legacy ID: 295675
Location: Warbleton, Wealden, East Sussex, TN21
County: East Sussex
Civil Parish: Warbleton
Traditional County: Sussex
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): East Sussex
Church of England Parish: Warbleton St Mary
Church of England Diocese: Chichester
This list entry was subject to a Minor Amendment on 01/10/2012
TQ 61 NW 8/707
The Old Rectory
(Formerly listed as The Rectory)
Former Rectory House. Late C13 or early C14 hall, porch and parlour incorporated in house with C18 and C19 additions and details. Brick mathematical tiles, old tile roofs, timber framed. 2 storeys with attics, a loose 'L' or 'H' on plan, with one cross wing, half the hall and the porch only surviving of original plan. Entrance front has red stretcher and black header bond. 2 storey C19 wing at north gable end-on, one ground and one first floor tripartite plate glass casement. Hall at centre has north parlour gable end on wing with one ground floor r1800 flat roofed bay with one tripartite sash with glazing bars, one first floor tripartite plate glass sash. Slightly recessed hall has one ground floor 3 light leaded casement, 2 first floor casements, one raised and fielded panelled door. Both ranges hung with mathematical tiles. Gable end wing at South with one ground and one first floor 3-light casement incorporates porch to hall. Half hipped hall roof with 2 inserted stacks, one on ridge, one off axis. South front has 2 first floor sashes with glazing bars, 3 attic leaded dormers. Rear has projecting C18 kitchen wing with attached bakehouse and stable.
INTERIOR: unaisled domestic hall survives to half its original length with single surviving open truss of roof with filleted rolls and dogtooth ornament tied into hall posts with raised tie beams, and stub tie beams with subsidary secondary braces running from the principal posts to the raised tie beam. The apex of the arched truss removed by C17 door, former king post also missing. Some of trefoil headed tracery against dais screen at north also exposed, whole hall originally boarded. Original parlour replaced in C15 (but frame survives) services and kitchen and part of hall beyond porch demolished 1733. Hall later floored and stack inserted, late C1600 stack at rear still open with kitchen. C17 service stair and C1700 turned iron baluster stair with rectangular section newels, rails and string at north. Early C18 dentil cornice and fireplace in bedroom, with 2 panel raised and fielded doors of early C18. Built either before the departure of the Warbleton family for Hampshire C1300 or for the son of the same family, presented as rector in 1315, died C1349. included at II* because of the surviving timber frame.
Listing NGR: TQ6130817915
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings