History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Bacon's Barn

A Grade II Listed Building in St. Michael, South Elmham, Suffolk

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 52.4001 / 52°24'0"N

Longitude: 1.4436 / 1°26'37"E

OS Eastings: 634360

OS Northings: 283586

OS Grid: TM343835

Mapcode National: GBR WLN.KST

Mapcode Global: VHM6N.ZX1Z

Entry Name: Bacon's Barn

Listing Date: 27 April 1987

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1198357

English Heritage Legacy ID: 282340

Location: St. Michael, South Elmham, Waveney, Suffolk, NR35

County: Suffolk

District: Waveney

Civil Parish: St. Michael, South Elmham

Traditional County: Suffolk

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Suffolk

Church of England Parish: South Elmham St Michael St Michael and All Angels

Church of England Diocese: St.Edmundsbury and Ipswich

Find accommodation in
Saint Lawrence

Listing Text

SOUTH ELMHAM, ST. MICHAEL ST. MICHAEL'S GREEN
TM 38 SW

4/80 Bacon's Barn
-

GV II

Former farmhouse. Part C15, part circa 1600. Timber-framed and rendered,
with part of the outer walls replaced in colour-washed brick; thatched roof to
part, half-hipped at the west end; the remainder with black glazed and clay
pantiles. 1½ storeys to the older western half of the building, 2 storeys and
attics to the remainder, the 2 halves linked by an internal chimney-stack with
a plain shaft of small red Tudor bricks. 2 gabled dormers; C20 casements, and
3-light casements with a single bar to lights in the c,1600 part. On the
garden front, part of the original hall window is reinstated, and one old
casement window has diamond-leaded panes. C20 plank door abutting on the
chimney stack. The western half of the house contains the remains of a 2-bay
open hall with crown-post roof. The crown-post is octagonal with moulded cap,
braced 4 ways at the head, but the base has been cut off, the supporting tie-
beam removed, and a later queen-post structure inserted bellow, producing an
attenuated secondary form of raised aisle truss. Some of the queen-post
components are smoke-blackened and apparently reused. At the west end of the
hall, the timber-framed partition has been replaced by a wall of Tudor brick,
laid in English bond, and the bay beyond it is a late C17 reconstruction. The
inserted ceiling in the hall is plain and heavy, with exposed main beam and
joists. The added 2-bay parlour block on the east is very well timbered, with
close studding and exposed ceilings on each floor; main beams with curved
stops and bar; plain timber lintel to the hearth; remains of mullioned window
openings. Roof with clasped side purlins, arched windbraces and intermediate
collars between the trusses. It seems likely that the inserted stack was
preceded by a smoke bay. This is the only house in the South Elmham parishes
with the remains of a crown-post roof.


Listing NGR: TM3436083586

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.