History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Joiners Arms Public House

A Grade II Listed Building in Bloxham, Oxfordshire

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 52.0193 / 52°1'9"N

Longitude: -1.3739 / 1°22'26"W

OS Eastings: 443058

OS Northings: 235832

OS Grid: SP430358

Mapcode National: GBR 7TC.7H7

Mapcode Global: VHCWF.4HHW

Entry Name: Joiners Arms Public House

Listing Date: 8 December 1955

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1198359

English Heritage Legacy ID: 244269

Location: Bloxham, Cherwell, Oxfordshire, OX15

County: Oxfordshire

District: Cherwell

Civil Parish: Bloxham

Built-Up Area: Bloxham

Traditional County: Oxfordshire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Oxfordshire

Church of England Parish: Bloxham

Church of England Diocese: Oxford

Find accommodation in
Bloxham

Listing Text

BLOXHAM OLD BRIDGE ROAD
SP4235 (East side)
9/165 Joiner's Arms Public House
08/12/55

GV II


House now Public House. Mid C16 (Pevsner) with later alterations and extensions.
Regular coursed ironstone rubble. Steeply pitched Welsh slate roof. 2 brick end
stacks. 3-unit plan. Single storey plus attic. 4-window range. Wide doorway to
left has a moulded 4-centred arch with quatrefoils in spandrels, hood mould with
label stops and moulded jambs. C20 windows to ground floor; 3-light casement to
kitchen and 2 canted bay windows to right of entrance. Attic has a 3-light stone
mullioned window with hood mould and label stops and 2- and 3-light casements
with wood lintels. There are fragments of a wooden lintel above entrance. C19
and C20 extension to rear. C20 interior. Noted as once having a thatched roof,
The Joiner's Arms was one of several Inns built with courtyards and stabling
which lay on the former main road passing through Bloxham. The Joiner's Arms was
recorded as being licensed in 1783.
(V.C.H.: Oxfordshire, Vol.IX, p.55; Wood-Jones, R.B., Traditional Domestic
Architecture in the Banbury Region, 1963,p,62; Buildings of England:
Oxfordshire, 1974, p.482).


Listing NGR: SP4305835832

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Selected Sources

Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.