History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Killowen House

A Grade II Listed Building in Bloxham, Oxfordshire

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 52.0158 / 52°0'56"N

Longitude: -1.3774 / 1°22'38"W

OS Eastings: 442826

OS Northings: 235445

OS Grid: SP428354

Mapcode National: GBR 7TC.LLN

Mapcode Global: VHCWF.2LPK

Entry Name: Killowen House

Listing Date: 8 December 1955

Last Amended: 5 June 1990

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1198405

English Heritage Legacy ID: 244281

Location: Bloxham, Cherwell, Oxfordshire, OX15

County: Oxfordshire

District: Cherwell

Civil Parish: Bloxham

Built-Up Area: Bloxham

Traditional County: Oxfordshire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Oxfordshire

Church of England Parish: Bloxham

Church of England Diocese: Oxford

Find accommodation in
Bloxham

Listing Text

In the entry for BLOXHAM SOUTH NEWINGTON ROAD
9/176 (North Side)
Station Road Farmhouse

The address shall be amended to read: SOUTH NEWINGTON ROAD
(North Side)
Killowen House

------------------------------------
BLOXHAM
SP4235 SOUTH NEWINGTON ROAD
9/176 (North side)
08/12/55 Killowen House

II

Farmhouse now house. c.1550. Regular coursed ironstone rubble. Ironstone quoins,
2 brick stacks to ends have stone bases. C20 tile roof, hipped to left, gabled
to right. U-plan. Hall house. Elevation to road: Single storey plus attic.
3-window range. Doorway to right has 4-centred arch, square hood mould and label
stops. Pointed arched panelled door has 3 lights. To right of door a 3-light
stone mullioned window with hood mould and label stops. To left a 3-light stone
mullioned window. Wooden lintel to cellar visible to left. Attic has a 3-light
stone outlined window flanked by 2 similar 2-light windows. All windows have
small opening casements wrought iron catches and springs and are painted white.
Rear: Covered porch between wings has re-used 2-light C13 window. Nesting boxes
in wing to left. Interior: Cruck blades visible on first floor landing; roof
noted as having smoke blackening; panelled doors have wrought iron hinges and
catches. Stop chamfered beams; stone flag floors; chamfered bressumers;
staircase has straight flight with winders; stone fireplace with 4-centred head.
Previously known as Titcombe's Farm.
(V.C.H.: Oxfordshire, Vol.IX, p.56; Buildings of England: Oxfordshire, 1974,
p.482).


Listing NGR: SP4282635445

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Selected Sources

Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.