History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Eynsham Mill

A Grade II Listed Building in Eynsham, Oxfordshire

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 51.7942 / 51°47'39"N

Longitude: -1.3661 / 1°21'58"W

OS Eastings: 443812

OS Northings: 210806

OS Grid: SP438108

Mapcode National: GBR 7X2.HFM

Mapcode Global: VHCXL.85ND

Entry Name: Eynsham Mill

Listing Date: 17 October 1988

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1198409

English Heritage Legacy ID: 252214

Location: Eynsham, West Oxfordshire, Oxfordshire, OX29

County: Oxfordshire

District: West Oxfordshire

Civil Parish: Eynsham

Traditional County: Oxfordshire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Oxfordshire

Church of England Parish: Eynsham

Church of England Diocese: Oxford

Find accommodation in
Church Handborough

Listing Text

EYNSHAM MILL LANE
SP41SW (West side)
4/136 Eynsham Mill

GV II

Millhouse, now house. c.1800 with C17 origins. Coursed and dressed limestone
with ashlar dressings; gabled stone slate roof, with Welsh slates to rear; brick
end stacks. L-plan with rear right wing. Late Georgian style. 2 storeys;
symmetrical 4-window range. Keyed flat arches over C20 door (with C20 classical
porch), and over 6-pane and 8-pane sashes: raised storey band. Late C18 block to
right of 2 storeys; 2-window range with 3 sashes, in similar style; has C20
parapet and Welsh slate roof, Early/mid C19 rear wing of limestone rubble with
gabled Welsh slate roof, extended in C20. Part of C17 two-storey house
incorporated in rear left wall: of similar materials, with chamfered timber
lintels over window openings. Interior noted as having been remodelled in
1970's; old beams in C17 part. The now demolished mills provided paper for the
Clarendon Press in Oxford. The Swan family bought it in 1804: they pioneered
mechanized paper and produced the tarred paper used at Great Tew, Wolvercote
Mill and The Malthouse, Newland Street, Eynsham (q.v.).
(Information from the V.C.H.).


Listing NGR: SP4381210806

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.