History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Church of St Martin

A Grade II Listed Building in Trimley St. Martin, Suffolk

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 51.9851 / 51°59'6"N

Longitude: 1.3142 / 1°18'51"E

OS Eastings: 627670

OS Northings: 237041

OS Grid: TM276370

Mapcode National: GBR WRJ.H2V

Mapcode Global: VHLC8.QCMJ

Entry Name: Church of St Martin

Listing Date: 16 March 1966

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1198413

English Heritage Legacy ID: 285018

Location: Trimley St. Martin, Suffolk Coastal, Suffolk, IP11

County: Suffolk

District: Suffolk Coastal

Civil Parish: Trimley St. Martin

Built-Up Area: Trimley St Mary

Traditional County: Suffolk

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Suffolk

Church of England Parish: Trimley St Martin

Church of England Diocese: St.Edmundsbury and Ipswich

Find accommodation in
Kirton

Listing Text


TM 23 NE TRIMLEY ST MARTIN HIGH ROAD
(north east side)

2/37 Church of St. Martin

16.3.66
GV II

Parish church C14. West tower early C15, North Chapel built by Roger Cavendish
C.1414; chancel rebuilt c.C17; Major restoration took place 1849-50. Vestry
added in 1955 by Munrose Cautley. The tower is in red brick mainly rendered
apart from north face, battlemented parapet and stepped diagonal buttresses.
Nave in random flint and septaria. Chancel and north chapel in red brick,
mainly rendered. Plain tile roofs 2 C19 windows to south wall of nave in
Decorated style; between these windows is the C14 south doorway with moulded
arch which has carved heads at springings and similar at ogee head. 2:5 light
perpendicular windows to north chapel. Inside there is a font with square bowl
resting on 5 pillars, in style of C12. The altar is a Stuart Holy Table with
carved front and legs. On north side of chancel is a piscina niche with some
mediaeval stonework incorporated. Both nave and chancel were re-roofed in mid
C19: the chancel roof is supported on stone corbels depicting angels and
foliage in mediaeval style.


Listing NGR: TM2767037041

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.