This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 51.5614 / 51°33'41"N
Longitude: -1.8516 / 1°51'5"W
OS Eastings: 410382
OS Northings: 184736
OS Grid: SU103847
Mapcode National: GBR 3T1.0P4
Mapcode Global: VHB3K.V0HV
Entry Name: Lydiard Park
Listing Date: 17 January 1955
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1198420
English Heritage Legacy ID: 318702
Location: Swindon, SN5
Electoral Ward/Division: Lydiard and Freshbrook
Parish: Non Civil Parish
Built-Up Area: Swindon
Traditional County: Wiltshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Wiltshire
Church of England Parish: West Swindon and the Lydiards
Church of England Diocese: Bristol
SU 18 SW SWINDON
3/42 Lydiard Park
Mansion. Medieval, C17 and 1745-9 (date stone in attic), last
remodelling attributed to Roger Morris (C. Hussey) for John, 2nd
Viscount St. John. Stone, ashlar Bath stone for remodelling, stone
slate and lead roofs Inferred late medieval building of hall and
cross wings. In C17 cross wings extended to H-plan. Mid C18
remodelling confined to south and east fronts, forming central hall
and interconnecting state rooms, library, dining and drawing rooms.
Main stair to rear of hall in earlier structure. Facade strictly
Palladian, based on Houghton Hall. 2-storey with 3-storey quoined
corner towers. 11 bays, centre 3 broken forward with pediment
rising through roof balustrade and containing St. John arms and
motto SANCTUS IN TERRA BEATUS IN COELO. Central doorcase Roman
Doric, pedimented with pair of glazed doors and lobed fanlight.
16-pane sashes to ground floor, 9-pane above, all restored. Ground
floor windows with pediment. 3rd and 9th windows with flat
cornice. East elevation 7 bays, window corniced only at centre.
Interior: 7 state rooms, all of highest quality, 6 panel doors in
broken and lugged doorcases with carved pulvinated frieze and
plaster ceilings throughout. Flying stair to rear of hall, 3
twisted balusters to each step. First floor rooms with dentilled
cornices only. Left Ante-room: dentilled cornice. Painted marbled
fireplace. Open pedimented overmantel. Library: Original
bookcases, broke forward, with broken pediments and busts. Open
pedimented fireplace, marble with coloured marble columns and
frieze. Geometric panelled plaster ceiling. Hall: Coved ceiling.
Dentilled cornice. Limestone chimneypiece of tapered pilasters
with masks. Dining Room: Recess divided by Ionic columns. Rococo
ceiling. Garlanded overmantle with broken pediment. Parlour:
Rectangular panelled plaster ceiling, joists carved with fruit.
Kentian carved Carrara marble fireplace with herm in-profile
supporters. Mirrors. Ballroom: Recessed divided by Corinthian
columns. Rococo ceiling. Dentilled cornice. Marble fireplace
with wood overmantle, Corinthian pilasters and broken pediment with
basket of flowers. Ante-room: Coffered apse. Plaster ceiling.
Small marble fireplace. C17 painted glass in apse window, probably
by Abraham van Linge. (Official Guide by Thamesdown Corporation. C.
Hussey; Country Life, 19-20. Mar 1948; M. Archer: The Painted Glass
of Lydiard Tregoze ). Plan in NMR. BB70, 6956.
Listing NGR: SU1038284736
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings