History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Landguard House

A Grade II Listed Building in Stonham Aspal, Suffolk

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 52.191 / 52°11'27"N

Longitude: 1.1219 / 1°7'18"E

OS Eastings: 613481

OS Northings: 259343

OS Grid: TM134593

Mapcode National: GBR TL3.NGD

Mapcode Global: VHLB6.D6F7

Entry Name: Landguard House

Listing Date: 9 December 1955

Last Amended: 26 March 1987

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1198434

English Heritage Legacy ID: 279446

Location: Stonham Aspal, Mid Suffolk, Suffolk, IP14

County: Suffolk

District: Mid Suffolk

Civil Parish: Stonham Aspal

Built-Up Area: Stonham Aspal

Traditional County: Suffolk

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Suffolk

Church of England Parish: Stonham Aspal St Mary and St Lambert

Church of England Diocese: St.Edmundsbury and Ipswich

Find accommodation in
Stonham Aspall

Listing Text

STONHAM ASPAL THE STREET (SOUTH)
TM 15 NW
5/195 Landguard House (formerly
- listed as The Auberies)
9-12-55
- II

House, C16 in 2 stages: an early C16 cross-wing retained after rebuilding of
main range in later C16; remodelling in the Gothic manner, it is believed in
1885. 2 storeys and attics. Timber-framed and plastered. Concrete
plaintiled roof with C19 crested ridge tiles, and barge-boards with cusped
soffits and spike finials. One small-pane casement dormer, similarly
embellished. Axial and gable chimneys of late C19 red brick; twin square
shafts, diagonally-set. Late C19 2-light small-pane casements with plaster
hoodmoulds. 2-panelled glazed C19 entrance door with C20 gabled porch. Good
early C16 framing in the cross-wing, which was probably of parlour function:
close-studding and a 4-centred arched doorway. A large rear range was added
in early C19 forming a double-pile plan: painted brick with corner pilasters,
slated roof, small-pane sashes.


Listing NGR: TM1347759345

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.