History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Moat House

A Grade II Listed Building in Ringshall, Suffolk

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 52.1316 / 52°7'53"N

Longitude: 0.9474 / 0°56'50"E

OS Eastings: 601825

OS Northings: 252240

OS Grid: TM018522

Mapcode National: GBR SKB.6CQ

Mapcode Global: VHKDV.CPP8

Entry Name: Moat House

Listing Date: 22 January 1988

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1198478

English Heritage Legacy ID: 279948

Location: Ringshall, Mid Suffolk, Suffolk, IP14

County: Suffolk

District: Mid Suffolk

Civil Parish: Ringshall

Traditional County: Suffolk

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Suffolk

Church of England Parish: Ringshall St Catherine

Church of England Diocese: St.Edmundsbury and Ipswich

Find accommodation in
Wattisham

Listing Text

RINGSHALL WATTISHAM ROAD
TM 05 SW

5/173 Moat House

- II

Former farmhouse. Circa 1400, with alterations of mid C16 and early C17.
2 storeys. Timber-framed and plastered. Thatched roofs: a cross-wing to left
and a lean-to right. An early C17 axial chimney of red brick has a central
pilaster shaft. Mid C20 small-pane casements, and boarded entrance door at
side. The central 2-bay open hall has good features of early C15: heavy close-
studding, with minimal tension bracing. A blocked doorway with 2-centred head
leading to the parlour (the latter was apparently demolished and rebuilt as
a leanto in C18 or c19). Fine open crownpost truss: the slightly-cambered tie-
beam is moulded with double roll and hollow chamfer; one of a pair of arch-
braces of 2-centred curvature (mainly concealed, the second is missing); large
octagonal crownpost with moulded capital and base, and thick 4-way braces.
Circa 1550, an upper floor was inserted in the hall with beams and joists well-
moulded with a sunk hollow chamfer; and a wide lintelled fireplace was positioned
in the cross-entry. The cross-wing may be original, but remodelled in c17 to
provide a parlour with brick arched fireplace, and again in mid C20. Associated
partial medieval moat.


Listing NGR: TM0182552240

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.