This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 51.9701 / 51°58'12"N
Longitude: 0.9909 / 0°59'27"E
OS Eastings: 605546
OS Northings: 234407
OS Grid: TM055344
Mapcode National: GBR SM9.KB6
Mapcode Global: VHKFN.4R72
Entry Name: Ravenys
Listing Date: 22 February 1955
Last Amended: 5 June 1987
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1198518
English Heritage Legacy ID: 277219
Location: Stratford St. Mary, Babergh, Suffolk, CO7
Civil Parish: Stratford St. Mary
Traditional County: Suffolk
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Suffolk
Church of England Parish: Higham St Mary
Church of England Diocese: St.Edmundsbury and Ipswich
TM 0534 STRATFORD ST MARY DEDHAM ROAD
- Ravenys (formerly listed
22.2.55 as Byways)
Raveners on O.S. map. House. Late C15-C16 with C20 alterations. Timber-framed,
rendered except garden front of cross wing with red brick nogging. Brick under-
building to road front. Plain tile roof. Red brick stacks. 2 storeys, L-plan,
originally jettied to street. Present entrance to gable end of main range, C20 porch.
Garden front: C20 single-storey range under tiled roof extends main range out to
level of projecting cross wing. C20 plank doors with Tudor arches and restored
mullion windows with leaded lights. Off-centre saw-tooth stack to left. Swept
roof. Cross wing: framing exposed, jowled posts with studding and down braces.
Restored ovolo mullion windows. Rendered gable with bargeboards. Large external
stack to return wall with saw-tooth stack. Road front was originally jettied, now
underbuilt in painted brick. Further restored mullion windows and bargeboards to
gable of cross wing. Interior: studded walls. Chamfered beams and exposed
joists. Cross wing 1st floor diamond mortices and shutter grooves of original
windows. Collar rafter roof to main range with slight smoke blackening. Clasped
purlin roof with windbraces to cross wing. In 1442 the land on which the house
stands was granted to William Smyth and William Wade on condition they rebuilt the
house (Griffin). Two drawings of the house by John Constable are in the Victoria
& Albert Museum 'A Country Road, Cottage and Figures' and 'Water Lane, Stratford
St Mary', both of 1827.
Griffin, J H H (Rector), The Village of Stratford St Mary and its church. 1964
pp.1-2. (Unpublished guidebook.)
Listing NGR: TM0554634407
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings