History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Church of St John the Baptist

A Grade II* Listed Building in Burcombe Without, Wiltshire

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 51.0798 / 51°4'47"N

Longitude: -1.8971 / 1°53'49"W

OS Eastings: 407304

OS Northings: 131166

OS Grid: SU073311

Mapcode National: GBR 3ZS.75P

Mapcode Global: FRA 66X8.GRC

Entry Name: Church of St John the Baptist

Listing Date: 23 March 1960

Grade: II*

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1198542

English Heritage Legacy ID: 320697

Location: Burcombe Without, Wiltshire, SP2

County: Wiltshire

Civil Parish: Burcombe Without

Traditional County: Wiltshire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Wiltshire

Church of England Parish: Barford St Martin and Burcombe

Church of England Diocese: Salisbury

Find accommodation in
Wilton

Listing Text



SU 03 SE BURCOMBE WITHOUT NORTH BURCOMBE
(north side)


2/111
Church of St. John the Baptist
23.3.60

II*


Anglican parish church. Saxon, C13, C15, tower rebuilt 1667,
restored 1859 by T.H. Wyatt. Rubble stone, tiled roof with coped
verges. Chancel, nave with low south tower over porch, C19 north
aisle. Two-stage tower with diagonal buttresses, Tudor-arched
doorway with cusped spandrels and square hoodmould, offset
bellstage with 2-light recessed chamfered mullioned louvre on south
and east side, 2-light Tudor-arched louvre to west, sundial below
and circular gilded clock face on south side, plain parapet with
saddleback coping. South side of nave has 2-light square-headed
window with cusped lights to left of tower, two 2-light square-
headed windows with cusped lights and hoodmoulds to right. South
side of chancel has two pairs of cusped ogee lancets, east end has
C19 plate tracery window, Saxon long-and-short work to corners of
east end, north side has attached C19 vestry with cusped lancets
and pointed doorway. North aisle of 1859 has three C16-style 2-
light windows and one single-light, all with square hoodmoulds,
quatrefoil to west end. West end of nave has cross window with
cusped pointed lights and hoodmould with unfinished terminals,
trefoil over.
Interior: Porch has pointed chamfered inner doorway with C19 door,
plain pointed stoup to right. Nave has C19 seven-bay boarded
vaulted roof. C19 north aisle with 4-bay double-chamfered pointed
arcade on cylindrical piers. C19 double chamfered chancel arch,
C19 wagon roof, polychrome tiled floor. Fittings: C19 pews, late
C19 C16-style panelling in chancel, chamfered pointed piscina on
south wall, C19 stone pulpit with open arcading. Restored C12
cylindrical stone font in nave. Stained glass windows in chancel
of1880s and 1890s. Monuments include a segmental eared tablet to
Matthew Pitts died 1746 and a marble to Edmund Pitts died 1770 in
nave, marble in north aisle to Ruth Moore died 1806 with fluted
pilasters and frieze.
(N. Pevsner, The Buildings of England, Wiltshire, 1975)


Listing NGR: SU0730431166

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Selected Sources

Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.