History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Burleigh Farmhouse and Attached Barn and Stable Range

A Grade II Listed Building in Cassington, Oxfordshire

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 51.8135 / 51°48'48"N

Longitude: -1.3491 / 1°20'56"W

OS Eastings: 444965

OS Northings: 212966

OS Grid: SP449129

Mapcode National: GBR 7WX.7Q9

Mapcode Global: VHCXD.KPM3

Entry Name: Burleigh Farmhouse and Attached Barn and Stable Range

Listing Date: 29 June 1988

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1198551

English Heritage Legacy ID: 252681

Location: Cassington, West Oxfordshire, Oxfordshire, OX29

County: Oxfordshire

District: West Oxfordshire

Civil Parish: Cassington

Traditional County: Oxfordshire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Oxfordshire

Church of England Parish: Cassington

Church of England Diocese: Oxford

Find accommodation in
Bladon

Listing Text

SP41SW
10/28

CASSINGTON
BURLEIGH ROAD (West side)
Burleigh Farmhouse and attached barn and stable range

(Formerly listed under BLADON ROAD)

II

Farmhouse. Dated 1801. Coursed limestone rubble; gabled concrete tile roof,
hipped to rear wing; stone ridge stack and gabled projection with lateral stone
stack to left of rear wing. L-plan with rear left wing. 2 storeys; 3-window
range. Flat stone arch over central early C19 six-panelled (2 glazed) door set
in moulded wood architrave. Flat stone arches over tall stair-light with glazing
bars to left, blind windows to left and over door, tripartite early C19 sash to
left and later C19 horned tripartite sash to right of door and C20 top-hung
casements on first floor. Large early C19 plank door to rear. Interior: plank
and panelled doors; dog-leg with landing staircase has stick balusters and
ramped handrails with moulded newel posts. Roof timber dated 1801. Subsidiary
features: barn and stable range attached to right; of coursed limestone rubble,
with gabled Welsh slate (front) and stone slate roof. Stables to left have
timber lintels over early C19 plank loft and stable doors to centre, and early
C19 stable door to rear; barn to right has timber lintel over double doors, and
has gabled midstrey with adjoining corn room to rear. Interior: collar-truss
roof with butt purlins. Built after enclosure of former open fields in 1800.
(information from VCH)

Listing NGR: SP4496512966

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Selected Sources

Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.