History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Brandeston Hall

A Grade II* Listed Building in Brandeston, Suffolk

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 52.1944 / 52°11'39"N

Longitude: 1.287 / 1°17'13"E

OS Eastings: 624746

OS Northings: 260220

OS Grid: TM247602

Mapcode National: GBR VMN.G5J

Mapcode Global: VHLB9.837M

Entry Name: Brandeston Hall

Listing Date: 25 October 1951

Grade: II*

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1198631

English Heritage Legacy ID: 285790

Location: Brandeston, Suffolk Coastal, Suffolk, IP13

County: Suffolk

District: Suffolk Coastal

Civil Parish: Brandeston

Traditional County: Suffolk

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Suffolk

Church of England Parish: Brandeston All Saints

Church of England Diocese: St.Edmundsbury and Ipswich

Find accommodation in
Kettleburgh

Listing Text

TM 26 SW BRANDESTON OLD MAIDS
LANE

9/18 Brandeston
Hall
25.10.51
GV II*

Former manorial mansion, now a school. Original house c.1550 for
Andrew Revett: only the east wing and entrance porch survive from
the fire of 1847; remainder rebuilt 1848 (dated rainwater heads)
for Charles Austin, lawyer and head of the Parliamentary Bar.
Red brick with diapering in dark headers; plaintiled roof. Neo
Tudor style; L shape asymmetrical plan. The north facade of the
main range has slightly projecting gabled wings and the ground
floor is set forward with a moulded brick cornice; later single
storey additions to right hand side. 2 storeys and attic. Stone
mullion and transom casement windows. 2 storey gabled entrance
porch with octagonal corner buttresses surmounted by moulded
brick pinnacles with stone caps; doorway with 2-centre moulded
stone arch, hoodmould with carved spandrels, C19 door; over the
doorway an inscription in Latin recording the acquisition of the
Hall by Framlingham College in 1949. Stone eaves cornice, flat
parapet with one attic gable each side of entrance; all gables
have moulded brick pinnacles with stone caps. Several good
groups of circular flues with moulded brick enrichment. East
wing has original stone newel stairs; library (east wing) with
C19 richly coloured ceiling with roll-moulded joists and 4-centre
arch stone fireplace with elaborate carved wooden chimneypiece
(probably imported); masters' common room with imported C17
panelling, good overmantel and ornamental plaster ceiling;
headmaster's study with similar panelling and overmantel and
ceiling with painted portraits of 24 famous men; good C19 wooden
staircase with richly painted ceiling over; ornamental plaster
ceilings to White Hall and dining hall; a further good fireplace
in the games room. Extension to west added 1967, not of special
interest.


Listing NGR: TM2474660220

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.