This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 51.9188 / 51°55'7"N
Longitude: -1.5956 / 1°35'44"W
OS Eastings: 427910
OS Northings: 224550
OS Grid: SP279245
Mapcode National: GBR 5RK.RDJ
Mapcode Global: VHBZF.91BD
Entry Name: Old Church
Listing Date: 15 May 1989
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1198632
English Heritage Legacy ID: 253964
Location: Churchill, West Oxfordshire, Oxfordshire, OX7
District: West Oxfordshire
Civil Parish: Churchill
Built-Up Area: Churchill
Traditional County: Oxfordshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Oxfordshire
Church of England Parish: Churchill
Church of England Diocese: Oxford
CHURCHILL MILL LANE
SP22SE (South-west side)
7/71 Old Church
(Formerly listed as Chancel of
Old Church and gateway in old
Parish church, remains of, latterly mortuary chapel now redundant. C13 and C14,
demolished except for chancel in 1825; restored 1869 by C.C. Rolfe for Elizabeth
Barter in memory of her husband, Charles. Limestone rubble with alternating.
angle quoins and chamfered plinth, roughcast to north, south and east sides and
regularly coursed and dressed to rebuilt west end. Stone slate roof with coped
verges. Chancel only survives of C13/14 church consisting of nave, chancel,
north and south aisles with tower at east end of former and south porch. South
side. C17 leaded transomed window to left and chamfered cross window to right,
both with dripstones; infilled square-headed chamfered doorway directly below
right window. Similar cross window to north wall. East end has lancet of 1869 in
larger C14 window opening (apparently infilled when lancet inserted), of which
part of hoodmould survives. West end, rebuilt in 1825, and again in 1869 has
reused C13 pointed doorway (probably the former south doorway) with roll and
hollow mouldings, 3 orders of detached nook-shafts with bell capitals and C19
hoodmould set in slight gabled projection of 1869 with C19 cross to apex. Gabled
bellcote (1825) with round-headed arch housing single bell. Interior. Trenched
double-purlin roof in 3 bays with collar and slightly cambered tie beam trusses.
Fittings and furnishings C19 and later; wooden funeral bier. Monuments.
Prominent memorial on north wall to Sir John Walter (d.1772): inscription panel
with round-arched moulded surround flanked by fluted Ionic pilasters. Several
smaller C17 and C18 wall tablets and memorials including brass plate on east
wall. Cl7 armorial device fixed to south wall and several C18 grave slabs in
floor. A Buckler drawing shows the church soon after the demolition work of
1825. In it the old south porch has been moved to the west end of the chancel
and the lower parts of the aisles and tower are still visible. In 1869 the porch
was taken down and the inner doorway set in its present gabled projection.
Extensive earthworks of the deserted medieval village lie in the fields to south
(Buildings of England: Oxfordshire, p545; Joseph Skelton: Antiquities of
Oxfordshire (1823), pp52-3; Bodleian Library: Oxfordshire: MS.Top.0xon.a.66
Listing NGR: SP2791024550
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings