History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

St Mary's School

A Grade II Listed Building in Wantage, Oxfordshire

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 51.5869 / 51°35'13"N

Longitude: -1.426 / 1°25'33"W

OS Eastings: 439864

OS Northings: 187721

OS Grid: SU398877

Mapcode National: GBR 6Y6.D94

Mapcode Global: VHC12.7CHS

Entry Name: St Mary's School

Listing Date: 22 April 1950

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1198641

English Heritage Legacy ID: 251233

Location: Wantage, Vale of White Horse, Oxfordshire, OX12

County: Oxfordshire

District: Vale of White Horse

Civil Parish: Wantage

Built-Up Area: Wantage

Traditional County: Berkshire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Oxfordshire

Find accommodation in
Wantage

Listing Text

WANTAGE NEWBURY STREET
SU3987 (East side)
7/136 St. Mary's School
22/04/50

GV II

Town house, now school. c.1730, second storey added and extended to right and
left in late C19; dormitory wing by Butterfield 1874. Flared Flemish bond brick
with red brick quoins and dressings; old tile roof; brick stacks. Central
staircase plan. Early Georgian style. Originally 2 storeys, now 3 storeys;
5-window range, with pedimented central bay. Gauged brick pediment with Doric
entablature and pilasters to 6-panelled door. Gauged brick cambered arches over
2 cellar windows and C18 sashes with half-H aprons. Red brick storey band and
dentilled and moulded eaves. Roughcast late C19 second storey has sashes and
bracketed cornice over central bay which has lunette flanked by double pilaster
strips. Gabled roof; end stacks. Two late C19 bays in similar style to right of
front. Rear rebuilt and extended in late C19 with lean-to roof over passage with
Diocletian windows leading to chapel (q.v.). Interior: Some C18 two-panelled
doors and panelled shutters. Panelled room and fine fireplace to right. Central
dog-leg stairs have fluted column-on-vase balusters on open string banisters
ramped to fluted newel posts, elaborate carved brackets; panelled dado with
fluted pilasters. First floor has panelled rooms to centre and left, latter with
fine fireplace. Subsidiary features: 2-storey dormitory wing by Butterfield,
1874, with attic storey added c.1890-1900, of red brick with yellow brick diaper
work between ground- and first-floor windows, offset buttresses, limestone
ashlar bands at window sill and impost levels; rendered mock timber-framing to
first floor; one-light cusped windows in 13-window ground-floor range and narrow
first-floor sashes; club tile hung gables of second floor have sashes. Similar
style block to rear left.
(Buildings of England: Berkshire, p.254; Paul Thompson, William Butterfield,
1971, pp,396,435),


Listing NGR: SU3986487721

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Selected Sources

Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.