History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Small Farmbuilding at Right Angles to Cowshed at Priory Farm

A Grade II Listed Building in Maiden Bradley with Yarnfield, Wiltshire

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 51.1618 / 51°9'42"N

Longitude: -2.2882 / 2°17'17"W

OS Eastings: 379940

OS Northings: 140323

OS Grid: ST799403

Mapcode National: GBR 0T9.499

Mapcode Global: VH97T.9256

Entry Name: Small Farmbuilding at Right Angles to Cowshed at Priory Farm

Listing Date: 6 January 1966

Last Amended: 9 September 1987

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1198650

English Heritage Legacy ID: 321208

Location: Maiden Bradley with Yarnfield, Wiltshire, BA12

County: Wiltshire

Civil Parish: Maiden Bradley with Yarnfield

Traditional County: Wiltshire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Wiltshire

Church of England Parish: Maiden Bradley All Saints

Church of England Diocese: Salisbury

Find accommodation in
Horningsham

Listing Text

MAIDEN BRADLEY MILL LANE
ST 74 SE
(south side)
1/102 Small farmbuilding at right angles
to cowshed at Priory Farm (formerly
6.1.66 listed as Remains of Augustinian
Priory)
GV II
Small monastic domestic building, now disused farmbuilding.
Probably C15. Rubble stone, corrugated asbestos roof, formerly
thatched, removed north stack. Two-storey, 1-window west front.
Tudor-arched stone doorway with rebate to right, giving access to
internal stairs, former 2-light chamfered mullioned window to left,
with inserted C19 window. First floor has chamfered open window to
left. Left return has planked stable door with segmental head to
right, blocked 2-light mullioned window to first floor. Rear is
windowless. Right return has blocked arched opening to ground
floor.
Interior of ground floor has very deep chamfered beam to ceiling
and first floor. Winding stone stairs from outside to first floor;
no internal access between floors. First floor has stone square-
headed fireplace, C20 roof. One of two surviving domestic monastic
buildings from the Priory founded here in 1190, a leper hospital
was on this site during the C12.
(N. Pevsner, The Buildings of England, Wiltshire, 1975)


Listing NGR: ST7994040323

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Selected Sources

Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.