This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 51.6638 / 51°39'49"N
Longitude: -1.3807 / 1°22'50"W
OS Eastings: 442929
OS Northings: 196298
OS Grid: SU429962
Mapcode National: GBR 7YL.RQ7
Mapcode Global: VHCY5.0FXV
Entry Name: Church of St Luke
Listing Date: 6 July 1987
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1198665
English Heritage Legacy ID: 249578
Location: Garford, Vale of White Horse, Oxfordshire, OX13
District: Vale of White Horse
Civil Parish: Garford
Traditional County: Berkshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Oxfordshire
Church of England Parish: Marcham with Garford
Church of England Diocese: Oxford
17/80 Church of St. Luke
Church. C13, rebuilt 1880 by Edwin Dolby of Abingdon. Coursed limestone rubble,
ashlar dressings; gabled C19 tile roof. Nave with north aisle, and chancel with
north chapel. 4 bays. Roof of east gable wall raised to higher pitch in 1880:
C13 double-lancet window to chancel, and late C19 trefoil-headed window to north
chapel. North wall has 3 late C19 three-light windows, with buttress to east and
pointed chamfered doorway to west. South wall has C16 three-light mullioned
window much restored c.1880, C15 two-light ogee-headed window and 2 similar 1880
windows: gabled timber porch of 1880, C13 pointed roll-moulded doorway to partly
ancient door restored 1880. West gable wall has buttress and C13 lancet: timber
belfry with hipped old tile roof. Interior: reredos with crucifixion scene.
Candelabra hangs from crenellated tie beam of late C19 two-bay roof with moulded
beams; late C19 tile floor, benches, altar rail and piscina. Late C19 arch to
north chapel. Chancel screen has sixteen C15 open-traceried panels along
cornice. Nave: late C19 benches, pulpit and lectern: wrought-iron hour-glass
holder. Late C19 arch-braced roof and 4-bay north arcade with coloured shafts to
column, and fine octagonal pulpit with foliate panels and blink marble shafts.
North aisle has fine candelabra. Painting of church before 1880 restoration
hangs next to south door in nave.
(V.C.H.: Berkshire, p.359; Buildings of England: Oxfordshire, p.146; National
Listing NGR: SU4292996298
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings