History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Church of St Katherine

A Grade II* Listed Building in Sedgehill and Semley, Wiltshire

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 51.0535 / 51°3'12"N

Longitude: -2.1919 / 2°11'30"W

OS Eastings: 386645

OS Northings: 128255

OS Grid: ST866282

Mapcode National: GBR 1WX.YFH

Mapcode Global: FRA 669B.FX3

Entry Name: Church of St Katherine

Listing Date: 6 January 1966

Grade: II*

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1198667

English Heritage Legacy ID: 321210

Location: Sedgehill and Semley, Wiltshire, SP7

County: Wiltshire

Civil Parish: Sedgehill and Semley

Traditional County: Wiltshire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Wiltshire

Church of England Parish: Sedgehill St Catherine

Church of England Diocese: Salisbury

Find accommodation in
Sedghill

Listing Text

SEDGEHILL CRATE LANE
ST 82 NE
(west side)
10/104 Church of St Katherine
6.1.66
GV II*
Anglican parish church. C14, C15, C17, 1882 restoration. Dressed
limestone, Welsh slate roof with coped verges. West tower, nave,
chancel with lower roof, south porch. Gabled porch with chamfered
semi-circular-headed doorway, coped verge and cross finial, C18
stone tablet over door records names of churchwardens; date
illegible, C19 double doors with ornamental hinges. Nave has C19
two-light geometric style window to left and two to right of porch;
walls are C19. Chancel has C19 cusped lancets to north and south
sides, diagonal buttresses and original C14 three-light east window
with reticulated tracery. North side of nave has two 2-light C19
windows to left of 1880s organ chamber with cusped lancet, one 2-
light window to right. Three-stage C15 tower with moulded plinth,
diagonal buttresses, offset string courses; north side has
chamfered light to middle stage, west side has recessed chamfered
Tudor-arched doorway with C19 double doors, 3-light Perpendicular
window over, bellstage has 2-light C15 louvred windows, south side
has cusped lights. Attached rectangular stair turret on south side
with loopholes, plain parapet with clasping buttresses.
Interior: Nave has 6-bay C19 roof with tie-beam or collar trusses.
C15 moulded pointed tower arch. 1880s north organ chamber with
moulded arch on half-cone corbels, brass plaque on north wall of
nave records restoration and installation of organ in 1882 by Vesey
family. C19 pointed chancel arch, 2-bay C19 braced collar truss
roof, polychrome tiled floor. Fittings: C19 octagonal stone font
in tower, C19 polygonal wooden pulpit, C19 seating. Chancel has
1880s stained glass in east, south and north windows in memory of
members of the Vesey family, C19 communion rail and panelling in
C17 style.
(N. Pevsner, The Buildings of England, Wiltshire, 1971)


Listing NGR: ST8664528255

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Selected Sources

Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.