This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 52.1786 / 52°10'43"N
Longitude: 1.3169 / 1°19'0"E
OS Eastings: 626871
OS Northings: 258562
OS Grid: TM268585
Mapcode National: GBR WP6.9S3
Mapcode Global: VHLB9.SH1Q
Entry Name: Farmbuilding at Abbey Farm
Listing Date: 15 August 1988
Last Amended: 5 March 2007
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1198741
English Heritage Legacy ID: 286497
Location: Letheringham, Suffolk Coastal, Suffolk, IP13
District: Suffolk Coastal
Civil Parish: Letheringham
Traditional County: Suffolk
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Suffolk
Church of England Parish: Letheringham St Mary
Church of England Diocese: St.Edmundsbury and Ipswich
1219/5/84 HOO ROAD
FARMBUILDING AT ABBEY FARM
Single-storey farm building, probably constructed as a stable in the mid C17, in soft red brick laid in English Bond with C18 and later alterations. Cat slide roof with pantile covering, gabled dormer left of centre, projecting plinth. Façade has C20 double-door with concrete lintel to left of centre, two doors to the right of centre, one with a C19 surround. Single door is located at left (south-west) end. Blocked door opening to left of the double-door. 5 casement windows, some with replacement concrete cills. Drip mouldings decoration to most openings. Rear elevation has blocked window to the west.
12 bays. C20 replacement floor structure in far left hand bays. Square-sectioned chamfered bridging beams with lambs-tongue stops. C18 roof comprises closed rafters with staggered purlins and tie beams.
SUMMARY OF IMPORTANCE.
The building at Abbey farm was listed as a barn in 1988 for group value with the church of St Mary and Priory gatehouse. It is likely that it was originally constructed in the mid C17 as a stable associated with the mansion known as Letheringham Abbey, which was erected by Sir Robert Naunton, Secretary of State under James I. The bricks of the stable were probably taken from the dissolved priory buildings. The stable is a good example of a purpose-built farm building pre-dating 1750, which survives mostly in its original condition. Although it has been remodelled in the C18 to C20, the building displays architectural quality in the façade detailing and proportions and fulfils the listing criteria in its own right for a building of this age and type.
Listing NGR: TM2687158559
Other nearby listed buildings