History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Town Hall

A Grade II Listed Building in Bampton, Oxfordshire

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 51.7265 / 51°43'35"N

Longitude: -1.5455 / 1°32'43"W

OS Eastings: 431485

OS Northings: 203185

OS Grid: SP314031

Mapcode National: GBR 6W9.L2X

Mapcode Global: VHC07.5V9T

Entry Name: Town Hall

Listing Date: 12 September 1955

Last Amended: 4 May 1989

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1198742

English Heritage Legacy ID: 253404

Location: Bampton, West Oxfordshire, Oxfordshire, OX18

County: Oxfordshire

District: West Oxfordshire

Civil Parish: Bampton

Built-Up Area: Bampton (West Oxfordshire)

Traditional County: Oxfordshire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Oxfordshire

Church of England Parish: Bampton with Clanfield

Church of England Diocese: Oxford

Find accommodation in
Bampton

Listing Text


SP3003-3103 BAMPTON MARKET SQUARE
13/95 Town Hall
12/09/73 (Formerly listed as Town Hall
and Market House)

GV II
Town hall, formerly used as market house, now part used as Bampton Arts Centre.
Plaque records laying of foundation stone August 8th 1838, by T. Denton, Esq.,
C. Wilkinson, Architect, and J. Pettyfer, builder. Narrow extensions made to
east end 1906, at expense of Philip Southby J.P. (Kelly's Directory). Coursed
rubble limestone with ashlar dressings; slate roof on overhanging bracketed
eaves. Italianate in style, with semi-circular arched openings. 2 storey, 3
bays. Raised ashlar plinth and impost bands; flush quoins. Centre bays to north
and south are slightly advanced and gabled, matching west gable. These gabled
bays each have 2 large arches to ground floor, with moulded architraves and
keyblocks, and a group of 3 narrow arched windows with simpler architraves and
keyblocks to first floor. Flanking bays have single matching arches to ground
floor, and recessed rectangular panels to first floor, those to south containing
fire insurance plaques. Most lower arches have C20 glazing; upper windows have
sashes. Slightly lower extension at east end is in matching style with blind
arcade, and is continued around north-east corner.


Listing NGR: SP3148503185

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.