This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 51.7502 / 51°45'0"N
Longitude: -1.2566 / 1°15'23"W
OS Eastings: 451416
OS Northings: 205984
OS Grid: SP514059
Mapcode National: GBR 8Z4.74K
Mapcode Global: VHCXV.58KM
Entry Name: Christchurch, the Great Quadrangle the Tom Quadrangle
Listing Date: 12 January 1954
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1198760
English Heritage Legacy ID: 244875
Location: Oxford, Oxfordshire, OX1
Electoral Ward/Division: Holywell
Parish: Non Civil Parish
Built-Up Area: Oxford
Traditional County: Oxfordshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Oxfordshire
The Great (or Tom)
SP 5106 SW 8/453E 12.1.54.
SP 5106 SE 9/453E
SP 5105 NW 12/453E
SP 5105 NE 13/453E
Collegiate: (a) West; and South sides, 1526 (John Lubbyns and Henry
Redmayne, masons); the North range Circa 1668 (refaced Cl9).
Includes Tom Tower, lower part 1526 (since refaced in Taynton stone),
upper part 1681-2 by Wren with Christopher Kempster and the Oxford
Robinsons, masons; top storey above clock refaced and much of West
front restored by W D Caroe, 1909-12, in Clipsham stone; terrace
and steps, 1842 by Sir Francis Chantrey.
(b) East side, circa 1546, mainly refaced.
(c) North side, late C17, refaced in Cl9. Altered 1962-3 and 1971.
(d) Kill Canon Gate, late C17, raised by 1 storey 1876-8.
(e) Staircase and tower in South range. Early Cl9 stone
staircase (Wyatt, 1805) with Gothic fan-vault built between 1630
and 1640; top belfrey stage of staircase tower, 1879 by G F Bodley.
Ante-room between tower and hall mainly early C16.
(g) Hall on 1st floor, 1529, with modern (1878) parapet and pinnacles;
rooms beneath remodelled and roof of hall (originally made probably
by Humphrey Coke) restored in 1720.
There are 11 wrought-iron lamp-brackets with round lanterns in
the Quadrangle. The raised footpath round the Quadrangle, the
remains of the Cloisters, is included in the listing. The wrought iron
lantern in the Main Gate is included in the listing.
Listing NGR: SP5141406032
Other nearby listed buildings