This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 51.8099 / 51°48'35"N
Longitude: -1.4813 / 1°28'52"W
OS Eastings: 435853
OS Northings: 212490
OS Grid: SP358124
Mapcode National: GBR 6VD.J9B
Mapcode Global: VHBZW.8RQW
Entry Name: The Old Manor House
Listing Date: 12 September 1955
Last Amended: 29 June 1988
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1198776
English Heritage Legacy ID: 252767
Location: Hailey, West Oxfordshire, Oxfordshire, OX29
District: West Oxfordshire
Civil Parish: Hailey
Traditional County: Oxfordshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Oxfordshire
Church of England Parish: Witney
Church of England Diocese: Oxford
HAILEY POFFLEY END
22/113 The Old Manor House
12/09/55 (Formerly listed as Old Manor
House. Late C15/early C16 to left; extended and remodelled c.1600; late C18
range to right. Coursed limestone rubble; rendered front, and some C17 rendering
to rear gable. Gabled stone slate roof; stone ridge stack. Open hall house
remodelled as T-plan with rear wing. One storey and attic; 2-window range. Bay
to left: hood mould over 4-light hollow-chamfered stone-mullioned window, and
C17 gabled roof dormer with partly restored 3-light wood-mullioned window.
Two-storey-and-attic gable end to right: hood-mould over similar 2- and 3-light
windows. Rear: gable to right with doveholes, similar 3-light window, 2-light
wood diamond-mullioned attic window and 3-light ovolo-moulded wood-mullioned
window. C18 mullioned windows to rear left. Rear wing of 2-storey, 2-window
range of similar materials with stone and brick end stacks and doveholes: timber
lintel over C20 door with old stone slate hood; hood moulds over 3-light
hollow-chamfered stone-mullioned windows, 3-light ovolo-moulded wood-mullioned
windows, and 3-light chamfered wood-mullioned window to right. Late C18 range to
right, of similar materials, with rendered front and brick ridge and end stacks.
2-storey, 3-window range. Timber lintels over C20 door to left, double doors to
right, and C19 first-floor casements. Interior: rear wing has stop-chamfered
beams and butt-purlin roof. 2-unit front range: room to left has chamfered beam,
stop-chamfered joists and open fireplace with chamfered wood bressumer and stone
jambs, and C17 panelled door to lobby behind fireplace. Room to right has
chamfered beam and stop-chamfered joists, similar fireplace, C17 plank doors to
rear lobby and C17 winder stairs behind lobby, and chamfered C17 heavy pegged
frames to 2 rear service doorways. First-floor room to left has similar
fireplace and principles with mortices for truss of former early Cl6 hall house.
C17 butt-purlin roof. Possibly remodelled by Robert Yate, c.1609. A
well-preserved C17 interior.
(David Sturdy, Houses of the Oxford Region, Oxonensia, Vol.27 (1962), p321-3)
Listing NGR: SP3585312490
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings