History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

The Priory

A Grade II Listed Building in Wantage, Oxfordshire

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 51.5883 / 51°35'18"N

Longitude: -1.4289 / 1°25'44"W

OS Eastings: 439662

OS Northings: 187874

OS Grid: SU396878

Mapcode National: GBR 6Y5.CKF

Mapcode Global: VHC12.5BYQ

Entry Name: The Priory

Listing Date: 22 April 1950

Last Amended: 6 December 1985

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1198802

English Heritage Legacy ID: 251254

Location: Wantage, Vale of White Horse, Oxfordshire, OX12

County: Oxfordshire

District: Vale of White Horse

Civil Parish: Wantage

Built-Up Area: Wantage

Traditional County: Berkshire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Oxfordshire

Find accommodation in
Wantage

Listing Text

WANTAGE PRIORY ROAD
SU3987NE (East side)
9/155 No. 1 (The Priory)
22/04/50 (Formerly listed as The Priory
under Church Street)

GV II


House. Late C16, remodelled and extended to rear in early C18. Roughcast over
original timber framing; old tile roof; brick stacks. Original L-plan of hall
and cross wing adjoining earlier. No.22, Priory Cottage, Church Street, (q.v.).
2 storeys and attic; 3-window range. Doric pedimented porch, c.1790, to C20
door. Late C18 tripartite sashes flank sash above porch. Early C18 roof dormers
have late C19 two-light casements. Gabled roof; gable end left stack obscured by
small 2-storey projection with sashes to left side wall. Mid/late C19 two- and
3-light casements to rear. Late C16 two-storey and attic, 2-window range to rear
left, with early C18 bay added to rear: built of early C18 brick with hipped old
tile roof, brick lateral stack; has mid/late C18 sashes to left side and rear
and early C18 gabled roof dormer with 2-light leaded casement. Interior: Cellars
have chamfered and stopped middle beam, early C18 turned balusters to one-light
between front and middle cellar and late C16 three-light chamfered
stone-mullioned window to front. C18 six-panelled doors throughout. Ribbed door
to rear cellar steps with early C18 cupboard above. Chamfered and stopped beams
throughout; early C18 cupboard in front left room, early C18 cornice and C19
panelled dado in room behind. 2 keyed segmental-arched entries with moulded
imposts to rear of hall which has early C18 quarter-turn stairs with turned
balusters on closed string. Exposed timber-framing and timber-framed external
wall of No.22 (Priory Cottage) (q.v.) to first-floor right. Late C16 roof over
hall partly removed for early C18 wider pitched roof; late Cib queen-post truss
with clasped purlins survives in left cross wall. Early C18 common-rafter roof
with butt purlins to rear left. Dr. Joseph Butler (1692-1752), Bishop of Durham,
was born here.


Listing NGR: SU3966287874

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.