History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Court House

A Grade II Listed Building in Hullavington, Wiltshire

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 51.5375 / 51°32'14"N

Longitude: -2.1542 / 2°9'15"W

OS Eastings: 389400

OS Northings: 182076

OS Grid: ST894820

Mapcode National: GBR 1Q5.G6F

Mapcode Global: VH95Y.MM07

Entry Name: Court House

Listing Date: 12 December 1951

Last Amended: 3 December 1986

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1198935

English Heritage Legacy ID: 318038

Location: Hullavington, Wiltshire, SN14

County: Wiltshire

Civil Parish: Hullavington

Built-Up Area: Hullavington

Traditional County: Wiltshire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Wiltshire

Church of England Parish: Hullavington Norton and Stanton St Quintin

Church of England Diocese: Bristol

Find accommodation in
Stanton Saint Quintin

Listing Text

HULLAVINGTON THE STREET
ST 88 SE
(west side)
5/41 Court House (formerly listed as
Court Farmhouse)
12.12.51
GV II

Detached house. Probably C16 core with C17, C18 and C19
alterations and additions, C20 restoration. Coursed rubble with
rusticated dressed stone quoins, buttresses and window surrounds,
half-timbering to porch and gabled stone slate roofs with stone
stacks, some with moulded caps. Irregular E-shaped plan with core
C16 section to right and later ranges to left. South-east front of
2 storeys with projecting end wings and central 2-storey porch with
half-hipped roof above timber framing. Windows are all single
lights in edge-moulded architraves with C20 casements to left-hand
section, sash fenestration to right-hand section except ground
floor window in recessed bay which is a 3-light mullion with
hoodmould. Central doorway to porch with cambered, keyed arch and
part glazed plank door. One hipped dormer to right.
Interior. Central stone-flagged passage with wishbone-arched oak
doorframe to right-hand. Central open-plan room to left-hand has
an oak framed ceiling of 4 moulded compartments. Staircase
opposite porch in rear tower is C17 with turned balusters and
ramped handrail. Butt-purlin, collar-beam roof structure in right-
hand section.
(N. Pevsner, The Buildings of England: Wiltshire, 1975)


Listing NGR: ST8939782072

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Selected Sources

Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.