History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

St John's Hospital Chapel

A Grade II* Listed Building in Wilton, Wiltshire

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 51.0822 / 51°4'55"N

Longitude: -1.867 / 1°52'1"W

OS Eastings: 409413

OS Northings: 131440

OS Grid: SU094314

Mapcode National: GBR 3ZT.2SL

Mapcode Global: FRA 66Z8.8GM

Entry Name: St John's Hospital Chapel

Listing Date: 4 August 1951

Last Amended: 8 June 1978

Grade: II*

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1198954

English Heritage Legacy ID: 319279

Location: Wilton, Wiltshire, SP2

County: Wiltshire

Civil Parish: Wilton

Built-Up Area: Wilton (Wiltshire)

Traditional County: Wiltshire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Wiltshire

Church of England Parish: Wilton St Mary and St Nicholas

Church of England Diocese: Salisbury

Find accommodation in
Wilton

Listing Text

1.
5409 ST JOHN'S SQUARE
No 3 (St John's
Hospital Chapel)
(formerly listed
as St John's
Hospital)
SU 0931 5/29 4.8.51.

II* GV

2.
Part of the St John's Hospital Complex. See also Nos 4, 5, 8, 10 and 12
St John's Square (qv). 1st documentary evidence comes in 1195 and a chapel
is said to have been dedicated in 1217. (Evidently refers to No 4 qv).
No 3 forms a 'T' plan extension to Nos 4 and 5. Judging by its east window
of 3 lights it dates from circa 1300. It was converted into a cottage in
the C18 and restored in 1868. Flint and ashlar chequerwork. Tiled roof
with fishscale band. Coped gable with unusual saddlestone to east. Mid
C19 belfry on ashlar and flint chequed gable end. To north are two 2-light
probably late C14 windows, the left hand window with quatrefoil over; the
right hand window with elongated quatrefoil above. South side has a 2-light
ogee window with elongated upright quatrefoil. Traces of 2 possibly C12
wall buttresses. Moulded 4 centred arch headed doorway to left with restored
tracery panels. Interior plain with curved braces to trusses.


Listing NGR: SU0941331440

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.