History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Church of St Nicholas and St Swithin

A Grade II* Listed Building in Hardwick-with-Yelford, Oxfordshire

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 51.74 / 51°44'23"N

Longitude: -1.4818 / 1°28'54"W

OS Eastings: 435876

OS Northings: 204709

OS Grid: SP358047

Mapcode National: GBR 6W5.XWM

Mapcode Global: VHC08.8JGH

Entry Name: Church of St Nicholas and St Swithin

Listing Date: 12 September 1955

Grade: II*

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1198970

English Heritage Legacy ID: 252290

Location: Hardwick-with-Yelford, West Oxfordshire, Oxfordshire, OX29

County: Oxfordshire

District: West Oxfordshire

Civil Parish: Hardwick-with-Yelford

Traditional County: Oxfordshire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Oxfordshire

Church of England Parish: Yelford

Church of England Diocese: Oxford

Find accommodation in
Bampton

Listing Text

HARDWICK WITH YELFORD YELFORD
SP30SE
10/206 Church of St. Nicholas and St.
12/09/55 Swithin

GV II*

Church. c.1500. Coursed limestone rubble with ashlar quoins and dressings;
roughcast nave walls; stone-coped gabled stone slate roof. Chancel and nave with
porch. Label mould over late C15 two-light hollow-chamfered round-headed east
window; two similar windows to south and a similar one-light window to north.
Nave has 2 tiny rood lights in east gable; similar one-light window to north and
2-light window to south. Gabled south porch: moulded bargeboard; east wall has
reset C11/early C12 carving with beaded arcs; label mould over hollow-chamfered
round-arched doorway; C15 studded door with fittings set in 4-centred moulded
doorway. West end has similar late C15 two-light window and two paired C13
lancets; late C19 bellcote. Interior: 2 pedestals for statues and square recess
with piscina; late C15 chancel screen with traceried heads to open panels; late
C15 octagonal font with blank shields and early C18 cover. Late C15 three-bay
tie-beam roof to nave has moulded and quartered beams and hollow-chamfered
joists; similar beams to porch roof. A small parish church adjoining a moat and
set in the grounds of Yelford Manor (q.v.).
(National Monuments Record; Buildings of England: Oxfordshire, p.869).


Listing NGR: SP3587604709

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Selected Sources

Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.