History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Weald Manor

A Grade II* Listed Building in Bampton, Oxfordshire

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 51.7235 / 51°43'24"N

Longitude: -1.5512 / 1°33'4"W

OS Eastings: 431093

OS Northings: 202850

OS Grid: SP310028

Mapcode National: GBR 5TY.YD9

Mapcode Global: VHC07.2Y84

Entry Name: Weald Manor

Listing Date: 12 September 1955

Grade: II*

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1198982

English Heritage Legacy ID: 253422

Location: Bampton, West Oxfordshire, Oxfordshire, OX18

County: Oxfordshire

District: West Oxfordshire

Civil Parish: Bampton

Built-Up Area: Bampton (West Oxfordshire)

Traditional County: Oxfordshire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Oxfordshire

Church of England Parish: Bampton with Clanfield

Church of England Diocese: Oxford

Find accommodation in
Bampton

Listing Text

SP3002-3102 BAMPTON WEALD

14/112 Weald Manor
12/09/55

GV II*
Large house. East and north wings are late C17 in origin, remodelled and
extended to quadrangular plan 1742. Much of interior decoration also dates back
to c.1742. House refurbished and courtyard infilled c.1900. Coursed rubble
limestone with ashlar dressings and parapets, the south front of better dressed
stone, part rendered. Hipped roofs with stone slates to outer pitches and C20
tiles to inner pitches. Ashlar chimneys have rows of square shafts linked by
cornice tops. 2 storeys and attic. East front is of 6 main bays with narrow
chimney bays flanking centre in rhythm 2:1:2:1:2. Projecting plinth,
semi-dressed quoins, coped parapet with string below and sunk panels in
unmoulded architraves. 2-pane sashes of c.1900 with thick ovolo-moulded glazing
bars, all in original moulded stone architrave surrounds. Chimney bays have
small single lights with similar glazing bars and surrounds. Central windows all
have rubble stone relieving arches. 3 hipped dormers are mostly hidden by
parapet. Central doorway with double half-glazed doors in architrave frame. Fine
C18 stone porch, possibly an addition, with Doric columns, cornice, pediment,
and large urn finial. Porch has latin inscription on frieze, and later glazed
infill with radiating fanlight. North front has 6 bays with similar parapet,
sashes and dormers, but with building break between bays 4 and 5. First floor
sash in bay altered to matching 2-light casement. West front has 5 bays of
sashes and simpler parapet without raised surrounds to panels. Left bay altered,
with door, C20 single light, and C20 port-hole window to stairs. Central wide
door of c.1900, half-glazed, in C18 stone porch with entablature on Doric
columns, octagonal stair turret and former outbuilding, converted to studio
c.1900 project to right. South front, also with simpler parapet, has 6 bays of
sashes to first floor left, altered ground floor fenestration, and C19-C20
canted bay window to right. Interior retains many features of c.1742, including
a fine range of stone fireplaces with moulded architraves and cornices.
Especially notable are the fireplaces in hall and drawing room, which both have
open pediments with pedestals. Drawing room fireplace is very large, with 2
Ionic columns to either side, tall moulded pedestal, and carved putti seated on
blocking course on pediment. Ground floor room in south-east corner of house has
canted stone niche, panelled, with flanking composite pilasters on high
pedestals, and rosette boss to soffit. Niche may be re-assembled from fragments,
and is not in original position. Another stone niche is set into passage between
hall and north-east dining room. This niche has shell top, fluted pilasters with
acanthus capitals, stone shelves, and low stone basin. Passage between rooms
above on first floor has built-in wooden chest of drawers of contemporary date.
South-east bedroom is alone in retaining late C17 decoration, with raised and
fielded wooden panelling and cornice, and bolection moulded stone fireplace.
Other rooms have C18 plaster ceiling cornices, either with modillions and small
rosettes, or with egg and dart ornament. Some rooms, e.g. dining room, have
matching C19-C20 cornices. Drawing room has C18 moulded skirtings, dado rail and
window surround, but C20 wall panels and c.1900 plaster ceiling. Staircase and
screen of Ionic columns in hall are also of c.1900. C17-C18 stone fireplace with
depressed arch in kitchen.
(Buildings of England: Oxfordshire: 1974, pp433-4; Country Life: August 2nd,
1946)


Listing NGR: SP3109302850

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Selected Sources

Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.